Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Purchasing a Will In England

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ellen

Ellen Report 10 Aug 2023 07:17

I have the National Probate Calendar for Margaret Mason who died 16th December 1967 of 2 Market Parade, South Norwood
Probate London 18th April 5,791 pounds
After 1960 they stopped giving out the person/s names who were to receive effects
How do I purchace her Will so I can see more detail ?

I do have her husband Michael Owen St John Mason, National Probate Calendar details
Many Thanks Ellen

Kay????

Kay???? Report 10 Aug 2023 09:24

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

go here and make a search which wont be difficult as you have full details,,,,,,you can buy a download copy for a couple £,,,takes abt 2 days to complete.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Aug 2023 10:16

Persons gaining an inheritance either money or personal property are only named in the will itself.

You only see the names of the executors who may not inherit anything from the will. They are there to distribute the estate as stated in the will itself.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 Aug 2023 10:17

Searching for her on that site, all you need to enter are her name, year of death (though you'll have to enter 1968 for any result to show up), and year of probate (1968).

That will bring up "Image search results".
Zoom in to that result page, and you'll see her probate details there, and an order form at the right of the screen.

When you've placed your order, view "My basket" in very small print at the top of the page.
You'll have to create an account and sign in, before you can pay.

Ellen

Ellen Report 11 Aug 2023 07:43

Thank you ladies ,it looks like she did not leave a will because nothing came up.
With your help I now know how to find a will so thanks again.
Ellen :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Aug 2023 08:37

If Probate was granted, there was a Will.

Probate is the act of proving the Will…………….

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Aug 2023 09:59

Did you follow the instructions I gave?

You have to enter her year of death as 1968, for the result to show up - and it definitely does..

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Aug 2023 10:16

"Probate records that include a will
Not all probate records contain a will. Check the type of grant of representation when you search.
The grant types that contain a will include:

‘Probate’ or ‘Grant and Will’
‘Admon with Will’ or ‘Grant and Will’

‘Administration (Admon) or Grant’ does not contain a will."
https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

Margaret's grant type is "Probate". Therefore, there is a Will.

Ellen

Ellen Report 12 Aug 2023 13:15

Thank you ArgyllGran, I finally got it ;-) I am in my 80s & not very good with our computor as you can see.
I hope you have a lovely sunny day Ellen

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Aug 2023 13:49

Glad you found it, Ellen.