Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mary Ann Cowley Barrett - Death in UK or USA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trish

Trish Report 26 Aug 2023 01:28

I am trying to find where Mary Barrett died, was it in the USA or did she move back to England, I can't find any records so any help would be appreciated. She never married going by the records I have found.

Mary Ann Cowley Barrett
Born: 21 August 1868, Camberwell, London
Parents: Joseph Augustus Barrett & Maria Amelia Barrett nee Cowley
Census Returns: 1871, 1881, 1891 with parents 8 Wellington Road, Charlton, London.

Records I have found:
1909 – Mary Ann C Barrett and her sister Maria Amelia C Barrett travelled from Liverpool UK to New York, USA on the ship Campania. This was a 6 months stay. No address of where they were going to be staying is given.

Mary Ann Barrett must have emigrated before 1913, no records found.

29 March 1913 – MARIA AMELIA BARRETT travelled from the UK to Vancouver giving her sister MARY ANN BARRETT'S address as: 1015 Robson Street, Vancouver. Purpose of visit: permanent residency.

MARIA AMELIA COWLEY BARRETT was married 29 Oct 1914 in Vancouver, B.C. to a widower, Thomas George Davies, he was a Florist. Both were born in England; Thomas was naturalized in 1891 and Maria in 1920. Thomas Davies’s death was registered in New Westminster, B.C. in Dec 1928.
26 July 1929 – Maria A C Davies, a widow, arrived in Liverpool, UK – address given was her parents’ house in Charlton, London. (from passenger list). She went to live with her sister Ethel Esther Cowley Marsh at 7 Eltham Park Gardens, Woolwich. Maria died in England.

1914 – Mary Ann’s mother died and the probate says: Administration to ETHEL ESTHER COWLEY MARSH (her sister), wife of Henry William Marsh, attorney of Mary Ann Cowley Barrett.

1915 – US Border Crossing - Name: Mary Barrett. Gender: Female. Race/Nationality: English. Age 46. Record Type: Manifests. Birth Date: 1869. Birth Country: England. Arrival Date June 1915. Port of Arrival Vancouver, British Columbia.

30 May 1938 – Mary Barrett arrived in Southampton from New York, USA on the Queen Mary. Country of last permanent residence and country of which citizen or subject both say USA. Address in UK given as 7 Eltham Park Gardens, Woolwich, her sister Ethel Marsh’s address. Both her widowed sisters, Ethel and Maria, lived here. Maria died 1956 and Ethel 1960.

31 August 1938 - Departed Southampton - Arrived in New York 5 Sept 1938 on the Queen Mary. Home address: 1290 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo, New York, USA.

1 April 1940 - USA Census. Robie Ave, Buffalo City, Erie County, New York, USA.
Mary Barrett. Lodger. Age last birthday 70 (Aug 1939). Born England. (to be confirmed as correct.)

There is a social security record on Ancestry that I can't access as I don't have a worldwide subscription. It may not be the Mary Ann I am looking for but if anyone can access the record to check I would appreciate it. Also any other records that can be found on emigration, citizenship, etc, to help would be great. I have a tree on Ancestry with Mary Ann Barrett in, some other people have her in their trees as married in the UK, but their records are incorrect.
Thank you, Trish.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Aug 2023 10:13

Spouse NONE
Father Joseph Augustus Barrett
Mother Maria Amelia Cowley
Birth 21 Aug 1868 London, London, England
Death 1961 Dartford, Kent, England
Residence 1871 Woolwich, Kent, England

Mary Ann Cowley Barrett
1868–1961
BIRTH 21 AUG 1868 • Camberwell, London

DEATH 1961 • Dartford, Kent (NOT CONFIRMED AS CORRECT)

Deaths Mar 1961 (>99%)
BARRETT Mary A 93 Dartford 5b 552

Age is wrong for an August 1868 birth

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Aug 2023 10:16

Please C&P the info you have found for the SS record............

EDITED.......13.57

Name Mary Ann Barrett
Gender Female
Race White
Birth Date 21 Oct 1871
Birth Place London, United Kingdom
Father Joseph Barrett
Mother Maria Cowley
SSN 129200463
Notes Nov 1943: Name listed as MARY ANN BARRETT

NO image

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Aug 2023 14:02

You could have found the same info if you'd looked at the FREE site
https://www.familysearch.org/search/

Name Mary Ann Barrett
Name Note Name and form dates: Application: MARY ANN BARRETT (Nov 1943)
Sex Female
Social Program Application Date Nov 1943
Birth Date 21 Oct 1871
Birthplace London, United Kingdom
Race White
Father's Name Joseph Barrett
Father's Sex Male
Mother's Name Maria Cowley
Mother's Sex Female
Event Type Social Program Correspondence

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Aug 2023 14:49

This almost matches the info you give - but different DOB, and wrong house number.

Probably not her, but I'll post it just in case:

Mary Barrett
in the 1911 Census of Canada
Name Mary Barrett
Gender Female
Marital Status Single
Race or Tribe English
Nationality Canadian
Age 43
Birth Date Oct 1868 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Birth Place England <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Census year 1911
Relation to Head of House Lodger
Immigration Year 1910
Province British Columbia
District Vancouver
District Number 12
Sub-District 11 - Vancouver City
Sub-District Number 11
Place of Habitation 613 Robson <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< [can't see the number 613 on image ]
Religion Roman Catholic
Occupation Saleslady
Employer no
Employee no
Own Account yes
Works at Florist <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Weeks Employed 52
Hours/Week 60
Earnings 624
Can Read yes
Can Write yes
Language E
Family Number 251
Household Members (Name) Age Relationship
J H Appleby 28 Head
Alice Appleby 30 Wife
Cornwall - Lodger
Ralph Barnham 27 Lodger
E Vincent 28 Lodger
C Lenell 42 Lodger
M G Cummings 21 Lodger
Mary Barrett 43 Lodger
Fritz Gustafsson 29 Lodger
George Christuacht 22 Lodger

alviegal

alviegal Report 4 Sep 2023 13:43

Not helping much but you say you can't see an address to where the sisters are going in 1909.

They had been living in Boscombe and were going to visit a friend M Flagg, 7 East Swan Street, Buffalo, NY.

https://heritage.statueofliberty.org

alviegal

alviegal Report 4 Sep 2023 13:54

On 15 Apr 1927 she left from Cherbourg on the Majestic to NY. She was a secretary, last address Buffalo.
Her sister Mrs WH Marsh of 8 Wellington Rd, Old Charlton was nearest relative in 'country where alien came.'
Mary was going to home, 25 Richmond Ave, Buffalo.