Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Dad Went Missing for 16 years where should I lo

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 8 May 2007 21:55

Hi First of all I see what you wonderful people do so thank you in advance, but this is a tricky one. 4 weeks ago I found my brother we did not know about each other until we connected in genesreunited. We now have to join the dots and I am not sure where to start. Thomas Henry Morris born 27th February 1918 Holbeck, Leeds, died 29th December 1968 Lichfield Staffordshire. Married Muriel Mayne in 1938 had two sons Eric born 1940 and David born 1942. Left wife in 1948. Had two children Julie 13/7/1965 born in Birmingham, and Michele 24/1/1967 born in Lichfield Staffordshire, married Dorothy F Morris (yes I know she changed her name by deed poll before they got married) 28 th November 1967 in Lichfield Staffordshire. He was missing between 1948 and 1964 and we are not sure where to start, he may have married again or had more children. Can anyone help? Julie

Georgina

Georgina Report 8 May 2007 22:27

Julie this may be a completley different man because Thomas Morris is a common name. There is a marriage in the september quarter 1948 in Leicester between a Thomas H Morris & Margaret Moule ref no:3a-2180. If you know what your father did for a living and his fathers name you could cross reference the info you have with the info on the above marriage certificate. Georgina.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 May 2007 23:03

He could have been abroad. There is another possibility, but I hesitate to suggest it........... Reg

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 8 May 2007 23:24

Do you know if he divorced his first wife or she died? Seeing as he didn't marry his 2nd wife until after the children were born and she changed her name by deed poll, it implies he wasn't able to marry for some reason. Rose

Julie

Julie Report 9 May 2007 05:37

Hi Thanks for help so far, Yes he may have been abroad. My mum changed her name by deed poll to Morris before she married him, I think because she was pregnant with me. I know that Muriel Mayne divorced him at some time, as my brother Eric tells me she had to find him throught he Salvation army to serve him divorce papers so she could remarry. Julie