Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ashton family Lookup

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire

Claire Report 8 May 2007 14:14

Hi - I am tracing the family of Elizabeth Maria Ashton born 1838 Manchester (Canning Street). Parents James Ashton (Cotton Spinner) and Sarah Ann Cave. Elizabeth married William Duffy in 1856 and her address was 15 Chrystal Street, Hulme. On 1861 census, her mother Ann was still living there as a widow. After that Ann disappears. Could anyone find a marriage entry for James and Sarah, it would be prior to 1837 as it is not on ancestry bmd. Also, I cannot trace any of the family on 1841 or 1851 census, so do not know if there were more children. Many thanks, Claire

Julie

Julie Report 8 May 2007 14:23

theres this one on the 1851 and James is a cotton spinner Elizabeth Ashton Age: 14 Estimated birth year: abt 1837 Relation: Daughter Father's name: James Mother's name: Sarah Gender: Female Where born: Dukinfd, Cheshire, England Civil parish: Dukinfield Ecclesiastical parish: St Mark County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: Ashton Under Lyne Sub-registration district: Dukinfield ED, institution, or vessel: 1r Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 52 Household Members: Name Age Ben Batley Ashton 11 Elizabeth Ashton 14 Ellen Ashton 7 James Ashton 36 Samuel Ashton 4 Sarah Ashton 36 Thomas Ashton 12

Claire

Claire Report 8 May 2007 14:30

Hi I also found that one - it was the only one with all three names but wasn't sure on the location as Elizabeth was born in central manchester, and Hulme is on the inner edge. Dukinfield is on the outer edge. Also Ann is listed as born in Manchester on 1861 and on the 1851 you found it says Yorkshire. That is why I need their marriage to give me a definate guide to their location and ages prior to the birth. I might try ordering one of those childrens births just to see what Sarah's maiden name is !! Many thanks, Claire

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 8 May 2007 14:32

1861 just for info Name: Ann Ashton Age: 46 Estimated birth year: abt 1815 Relation: Head Gender: Female Where born: Manchester, Lancashire, England Civil parish: Hulme Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View image Registration district: Chorlton Sub-registration district: Hulme ED, institution, or vessel: 58 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 89 Household Members: Name Age Ann Ashton 46 Eliza Harriston 11 boarder Samuel Harriston 47 boarder

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 8 May 2007 14:32

ann's death? Deaths Sep 1868 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ashton Ann 54 Manchester 8d 271

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 8 May 2007 14:45

1841 which matches the 1851 already posted Name: Sarah Ashton Age: 25 Estimated birth year: abt 1816 Gender: Female Civil parish: Stockport Hundred: Macclesfield County/Island: Cheshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: View image Registration district: Ashton under Lyne Sub-registration district: Dukinfield Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Ben Ashton 1 Elizabeth Ashton 4 James Ashton 25 Sarah Ashton 25

Julie

Julie Report 8 May 2007 14:54

Sorry Claire but who is Ann

Claire

Claire Report 8 May 2007 15:07

Hi Julie Ann was Elizabeth's mother. That is how she was listed on 1861 census - although her name was Sarah Ann, as I said previously. Sorry for confusing you ! Claire