Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Orphanage in Hanwell London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Goode

Goode Report 7 May 2007 21:54

Can anyone help I am looking for an Orphanage that was in Hanwell London in 1918 as I am looking for some names of children who attended Orphanages in that area Thank you your help. Gemma

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 7 May 2007 22:00

Charlie Chaplin was in there for a while - found this by Googling so expect there is more out there! ''The separation of art from its lived context, the everyday life of the artist can be seen in these two examples. First, as noted, the central sequence to THE KID is an attempt by the director of the County Orphan Asylum to take the kid from the tramp. The intense emotion displayed in this sequence has a direct relationship to Chaplin's life. He and his brother were placed in a workhouse and then in an orphanage. Chaplin writes of this experience, 'Although at Hanwell we were well looked after, it was a forlorn existence. Sadness was in the air; it was in those country lanes through which we walked, a hundred of us two abreast. How I disliked those walks, and the villages through which we passed, the locals staring at us! We were known as inmates of the 'booby hatch,' a slang term for workhouse.'[12]'' Jill

Goode

Goode Report 8 May 2007 13:54

Hi Jill thank you so much for your reply this has given me another area to search - I feel this is the place I have been looking for, for ages so I am delighted with your help. Gemma