Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

INFO FROM MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE ??????????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 10 Feb 2007 19:28

Can anyone help me find who the parents of Sidney Ives born 1893 Bedford on his marriage certificate, he married Rose Phillips. I already know his parents names but I have got his wifes name from someone on this site and need to check we are talking about the same Sydney. Many Thanks

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 10 Feb 2007 19:36

Paul I don't understand - if you have his marriage cert, then his wife's name, and the name of her father will be on it, as well as details of the groom. What is it you are trying to check? OC

Paul

Paul Report 10 Feb 2007 19:41

I don't have the certificate I have a possible match to my tree, the other person has a sydney Ives born same year and town but does not go further back, mine goes back but no further forward. The only way I can tell if it is the same one is if his parents names match what I already have. If that makes sense

Paul

Paul Report 10 Feb 2007 19:52

No as it is a huge tree and not that specific to him.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Feb 2007 19:54

The only way to be sure is to buy the marriage certificate. If your contact knows 'his' Sydney and Rose married, does he have the certificate? Kath. x

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 10 Feb 2007 20:05

Paul Huge trees tend to have very little specific information on them, I find, and an awful lot of guesses and suppositions. Get the marriage cert for your couple and then proceed from there, with GREAT caution, if you are using a name collector's tree for information. OC

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Feb 2007 20:05

If your contact hasn't got the marriage certificate, does he have any idea when the marriage took place? He must have got his information from somewhere. Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Feb 2007 20:13

This is the marriage reference for that marriage:- Rose Phillips to Sidney Ives March qtr. 1927, St. Giles, 1b, 663. You would have to order the certificate to find out if this Sidney's father's name and occupation is the same as 'your' Sidney. Kath. x

Paul

Paul Report 10 Feb 2007 20:13

Hi Kath I have only been able to look at his tree, he got info from someone else. I know they had their first child in 1927 and she was born 1903 so prob married mid 20's

Paul

Paul Report 10 Feb 2007 20:17

Hi OC I'm not sure how to find the marriage certificate as I have only started this a week ago.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Feb 2007 20:22

You can buy the certificate online from:- www.gro.gov.uk/certificates Make sure that when the online form asks you 'Is the full GRO reference known?' that you tick the 'yes' box. If you leave it on 'no', then they will charge you more. It should cost you £7. You said the first child was born in 1927. I searched the Complete marriage index on Ancestry (it's free to search) and I always start looking for a marriage just before the first child's birth, as it is surprising how many couples already had a child on the way when they married. Kath. x

Paul

Paul Report 10 Feb 2007 20:25

Thanks Kath How do I get the certificate and where from? Also how did you find that out? Thanks again Paul

Paul

Paul Report 10 Feb 2007 20:31

Hi Kath what is the web site for the Complete index on Ancestry ? Paul

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 10 Feb 2007 20:38

Paul As you have only just started, can I please offer you the following advice? You need to start with yourself. Get the marriage cert of your parents, then their birth certs, then the marriage certs of THEIR parents and so on, otherwise you can very quickly take a wrong, and expensive turn. When other people give you information, you should check it for yourself, and do not rely on the informant having done proper research. If they can come up with certs, then they probably have done it properly - if not, then what they have done is just a guess. OC

Paul

Paul Report 10 Feb 2007 20:47

Hi oc I have only just started but a family member has done lots of work for me with 122 members. I am now trying to carry on with any lose ends. I have found a possible match to mine and I am trying to find records to confirm this.