Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WHITT census look-up please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 10 Feb 2007 12:32

I’m trying to tidy up a few loose ends on my wife’s tree and wondered if SKS could trace the following: 1901 census: Philip WHITT (b. Sep 1877, Radford, Nottingham, son of Joseph Henry Whitt and Emma Clement). The 1891 census shows him, aged 13, as a printers apprentice in Nottingham. 1901 census: Leonard Barnsdale WHITT (b. Dec 1889, Nottingham, son of George Henry Whitt and Elizabeth Barnsdale). I have 1891 census showing him, aged 7, living with parents and siblings (Charles 1879, Ada 1882 and Sarah 1887) living in Montfort St, Radford, Nottingham. 1901 census: Charles Barnsdale WHITT (brother of Leonard above, b. Dec 1879, Radford, Nottingham. 1901 census: George Henry WHITT (b. Mar 1856, father of Leonard – see above). 1901 census: Ernest WHITT (b. Sep 1871, Radford, Nottingham, son of Arthur Whitt and Sarah Slack). 1891 census shows him, aged 19 as a mechanic, living with parents and six siblings. 1881 Census: Frederick WHITT (b. Mar 1858, Radford, Nottingham, son of Philip Whitt and Sarah Daft, d. Mar 1888, Nottingham). 1871 Census shows him, aged 13, as a boarder/schoolboy at Front Street Chestnut House Academy, Arnold. I’ve tracked down the vast majority of census records for this line, but these are proving to be frustratingly tricky. Any help very gratefully received. Simon

Mags & Nicky

Mags & Nicky Report 10 Feb 2007 12:35

Just to make it easier to read I’m trying to tidy up a few loose ends on my wife’s tree and wondered if SKS could trace the following: 1901 census: Philip WHITT (b. Sep 1877, Radford, Nottingham, son of Joseph Henry Whitt and Emma Clement). The 1891 census shows him, aged 13, as a printers apprentice in Nottingham. 1901 census: Leonard Barnsdale WHITT (b. Dec 1889, Nottingham, son of George Henry Whitt and Elizabeth Barnsdale). I have 1891 census showing him, aged 7, living with parents and siblings (Charles 1879, Ada 1882 and Sarah 1887) living in Montfort St, Radford, Nottingham. 1901 census: Charles Barnsdale WHITT (brother of Leonard above, b. Dec 1879, Radford, Nottingham. 1901 census: George Henry WHITT (b. Mar 1856, father of Leonard – see above). 1901 census: Ernest WHITT (b. Sep 1871, Radford, Nottingham, son of Arthur Whitt and Sarah Slack). 1891 census shows him, aged 19 as a mechanic, living with parents and six siblings. 1881 Census: Frederick WHITT (b. Mar 1858, Radford, Nottingham, son of Philip Whitt and Sarah Daft, d. Mar 1888, Nottingham). 1871 Census shows him, aged 13, as a boarder/schoolboy at Front Street Chestnut House Academy, Arnold. I’ve tracked down the vast majority of census records for this line, but these are proving to be frustratingly tricky. Any help very gratefully received. Simon

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 10 Feb 2007 12:57

Might have been easier to number each lookup then we could have numbered the replies 1881 Name: Phillip Whitt Age: 4 Estimated birth year: abt 1877 Relation: Son Father's name: Joseph Hy. Mother's name: Emma Gender: Male Where born: Radford, Nottinghamshire, England Civil parish: Beeston County/Island: Nottinghamshire Country: England Street address: Union St Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Basford Sub-registration district: Basford ED, institution, or vessel: 18 Household Members: Name Age Emma Whitt 26 born Beeston Emma Whitt 3 Joseph Hy. Whitt 27 born Hyson Green - iron worker Phillip Whitt 4 Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 3331; Folio: 109; Page: 6; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341794

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 10 Feb 2007 13:05

Simon, Am I right in presuming that you have the earlier census details? Maureen

Simon

Simon Report 10 Feb 2007 13:11

Maureen Yes I do have the earlier census details. Sorry about lack of format in original message (thanks Mags & Nicky). I'd typed it up neatly in Word, but forgot that the formatting goes to pot when sending in message. Simon

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 10 Feb 2007 13:16

1901 possible Name: Ernest Whitte Age: 29 Estimated birth year: abt 1872 Relation: Boarder Gender: Male Where born: Hyson Green, Nottinghamshire, England Civil parish: Brightside Bierlow Ecclesiastical parish: Pitsmoor Christchurch County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Registration district: Sheffield Sub-registration district: West Brightside ED, institution, or vessel: 31 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 123 Household Members: Name Age Elizabeth Cox 33 Frederick Cox 34 - head Henry Cox 5 Henry White 26 - boarder - born Gleasley ? Ernest Whitte 29 Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4377; Folio: 16; Page: 23. Ernest has occupation of mechanical engineer - so does Henry

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 10 Feb 2007 13:25

1901 how about this one as a lot of details do match Name: Leonard Barnsdale Age: 11 Estimated birth year: abt 1890 Relation: Son Father's name: George Mother's name: Elizabeth Gender: Male Where born: Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England Civil parish: Bentley With Arksey Ecclesiastical parish: Bentley St Peter Town: Bentley County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Registration district: Doncaster Sub-registration district: Campsall ED, institution, or vessel: 2 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 25 Household Members: Name Age Ada Barnsdale 19 Charles Barnsdale 21 Elizabeth Barnsdale 49 George Barnsdale 46 Hotel barman Leonard Barnsdale 11 Sarah Barnsdale 13 Grace A Brown 26 Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4414; Folio: 21; Page: 3 Just had a look at 1891 census and occupation for George is different - lace maker. Not convinced that Leonard is age 7 - children are usually listed in age order and he is listed last.

Simon

Simon Report 10 Feb 2007 16:56

Maureen Many thanks! The names/dates all seem to match for the George Whitt 1901, though its very puzzling why the surname is Barnsdale not Whitt. Re Leonard on the 1891 census, I'm pretty sure the age is 1 not 7. Cheers! Simon