Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lookups for 1891 & 1901 census.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 Jul 2006 15:10

Charley Manning Jaggard married 1901 to either Fanny Millicent Hocken or Lucy Elizabeth Whitbread. The marriage was register in Marylebone. Any help gratefully received. Thank you

Georgina

Georgina Report 30 Jul 2006 15:18

Margaret when & where was he born there are 21 Charles Jaggard's on the 1901 census. Georgina.

Laurie

Laurie Report 30 Jul 2006 15:20

Hi Margaret, I can only see a Charles Manning Jaggard married in Coventry in 1900. Do you have any other info as there are a few on 1901/1891 like where he was born or lived? Sorry found the marriage he's down as Charlie. Laurie

Georgina

Georgina Report 30 Jul 2006 15:24

There are 2 marriages for Charles Manning Jaggard is it the same man or are they different people? Marriages Sep 1880 Jaggard Charles Manning Coventry 6d 574 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages Dec 1901 JAGGARD Charlie Manning Marylebone 1a 1226 Georgina.

Laurie

Laurie Report 30 Jul 2006 15:25

Found what looks like Lucy on 1901: Name: Lucy Whitbread Age: 28 Estimated birth year: abt 1873 Relation: Servant Gender: Female Where born: Marylebone, London, England Civil parish: Kensington Ecclesiastical parish: St Stephen South Kensington County/Island: London Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Kensington Sub-registration district: Kensington Town ED, institution, or vessel: 1 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 34 Household Members: Name Age Alice Goldie 29 George Taubman Goldie 54 Valentine Goldie 26 Jane Hartridge 42 George Moore 50 Minnie Smith 22 Lucy Whitbread 28 Ellen White 23 As they didn't marry till the end of 1901 the only way you will find who he actually married I think would be to order his marriage cert. Do you know the name of his father? Laurie

Laurie

Laurie Report 30 Jul 2006 15:26

Hi Georgina, He's the one that is Charlie. Laurie

Laurie

Laurie Report 30 Jul 2006 15:29

Here's Lucy with her family on 1891: Name: Lucy Whitbread Age: 18 Estimated birth year: abt 1873 Relation: Daughter Father's name: Gales Mother's name: Mary A Gender: Female Where Born: Marylebone, London, England Civil parish: St Marylebone Ecclesiastical parish: The Rectory Town: London County/Island: London Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Marylebone Sub registration district: Rectory ED, institution, or vessel: 3 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name age Clara Whitbread 11 Frank Whitbread 13 Gales Whitbread 46 Lucy Whitbread 18 Mary A Whitbread 47 William Whitbread 23

Georgina

Georgina Report 30 Jul 2006 15:35

I think the only way to be sure is to buy the marriage certificate, then you will have the bride & grooms fathers names and find the right families on the census. Georgina.

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 30 Jul 2006 15:38

Long shot -or is it? In 1901 census ====>Name: Fanny Hocken Age: 38 Estimated birth year: abt 1863 Relation: Daughter Father's name: William Mother's name: Melicent Gender: Female Where born: St Tudy, Cornwall, England Civil parish: St Tudy Ecclesiastical parish: St Uda County/Island: Cornwall Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Bodmin Sub-registration district: St Mabyn ED, institution, or vessel: 6 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 40 Household Members: Name Age Fanny Hocken 38 Harold Hocken 9 Melicent Hocken 67 William Hocken 71 and 1901 England Census Record about Charles M Jaggard ===>Name: Charles M Jaggard Age: 38 Estimated birth year: abt 1863 Relation: Boarder Gender: Male Where born: Batsham, Cambridgeshire, England Civil parish: St Tudy Ecclesiastical parish: St Uda Town: St Tudy County/Island: Cornwall Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Bodmin Sub-registration district: St Mabyn ED, institution, or vessel: 8 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 17 Household Members: Name Age Charles M Jaggard 38 Edwin Robins 49 Hannah Robins 49 So two of your names in the same place. Jim

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 30 Jul 2006 15:45

1901 shows Charles as a certificated schoolmaster. 1891 shows him in the navy as a naval schoolmaster 1881 schoolmaster - married to Amelia

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 30 Jul 2006 15:47

here's 1871 Name: Charles Jaggard Age: 15 Estimated birth year: abt 1856 Relation: Son Father's name: Thomas Mother's name: Mary Gender: Male Where born: Balsham, Cambridgeshire, England Civil Parish: Balsham County/Island: Cambridgeshire Country: England Registration district: Linton Sub-registration district: Balsham ED, institution, or vessel: 1 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 48 Household Members: Name Age Authur Jaggard 11 Charles Jaggard 15 Mary Jaggard 49 Thomas Jaggard 49 and 1861 Name: Charles Jaggard Age: 4 Estimated birth year: abt 1857 Relation: Son Father's name: Thomas Mother's name: Mary Gender: Male Where born: Balsham, Cambridgeshire, England Civil parish: Balsham County/Island: Cambridgeshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View image Registration district: Linton Sub-registration district: Balsham ED, institution, or vessel: 1 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 51 Household Members: Name Age Authur Jaggard 1 Charles Jaggard 4 Mary Jaggard 40 Thomas Jaggard 38 Susan Young 13 Jim

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 30 Jul 2006 15:49

And first wedding - to Amelia Marriages Sep 1880 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Cameron Sarah Ann Coventry 6d 574 Edwards Amelia Coventry 6d 574 Grimley Edwin Henry Coventry 6d 574 Jaggard Charles Manning Coventry 6d 574 Jim

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 Jul 2006 15:58

Thank you all so much for all the information. The reason I am interested in Charlie is that I have researched my Manning ancestors and I came acrooss Charlie Manning Jaggard whilst I was looking for something else. It has occured to me that he may be illegitimate and that is why he has added the name Manning. I have absolutely no information at all about him but I shall now study all that you have sent and see if I can work anything out. Very many thanks once again. Margaret

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 30 Jul 2006 16:00

Death of Fanny? Deaths Dec 1911 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Foulkes Harold J 2 Plymouth 5b 339 Hedge Elizabeth 71 Plymouth 5b 339 Jaggard Fanny M 48 Plymouth 5b 339 Mardon William J 46 Plymouth 5b 339 Watts James D 82 Plymouth 5b 339 Jim

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 30 Jul 2006 16:06

Thanks for your comment. I thought that Manning might have been his mother's maiden name - they often used that practice - but she appears to be Mary YOUNGS. Jim

Laurie

Laurie Report 30 Jul 2006 23:27

Hi Margaret, I have an ancestor with the middle name of maidens!! It turns out that it isn't the maiden name of his mother but a maiden name from a gg grandmother.This maiden name followed through the family for a few years. Laurie

Pamela

Pamela Report 29 May 2022 14:49

I am currently researching Charles (Charlie) Manning Jaggard as he was our first Headmaster at St. Tudy School. I now have a summary of his life if this is of any help to you - I can see this is an old post. Thanks, Pam

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 May 2022 14:56

Hi Pamela

Margaret is unlikely to see your message as this thread is 16 years old. Try clicking on her name and sending her a private message. If she still has the same email address that she registered with Genes then she will be informed that she has a message from you.

Kath. x