Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1861/71 lookups please (Lancashire?)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Loki

Loki Report 10 Dec 2005 14:25

Please could someone have a brief look in the 1861/71 censi for: WILLIAM HILL he was a policeman and very probably worked at Strangeways Prison, Salford, Manchester? His son William Hill was married at the Cathedral and Parish church, Manchester, Lancs 7/8/1859, aged 27. They are married by a Chaplain W W Johnson. Also present as witnesses to the marriage were JOSEPH HILL and SARAH HILL. His wife's, address is given as 145 Great Dulcie Street, Strangeways. William Jnrs. address is given at the marriage as 41 Long Millgate and is found in 1861 at 17 Edgworth Street, St Pauls, Warrington and in 1871 at 43 Golborne Street, St Pauls, Warrington. I am also looking for his wife's, ELIZABETH's, father: WILLIAM UNSWORTH, a gamekeeper. Many thanks for any help as I appreciate this is a tenuous link, Geoff.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Dec 2005 14:43

The only Wm Hill that comes up on a search with Strangeways is a prisoner in 1891! I will try Manchester. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Dec 2005 14:51

Geoff Have you any idea when William senior was born, or where? Do you know when he died? When did he retire from police force? nell

Loki

Loki Report 10 Dec 2005 14:54

Sorry Nell, I know absolutely nothing more about him - Wish I did! LOL, Geoff.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Dec 2005 15:18

Sorry Geoff Been through all the William Hills in Manchester old enough to have Wm jnr as son, and none of them is a policeman. Bear in mind if you got the occupation from Wm jnr's marriage cert, that he may have enhanced his father's job to look more upmarket. Or William senior may have changed occupation. Where was Wm junior born? nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Dec 2005 15:24

Can't find a likely William Unsworth in 1861. If you give me info about Elizabeth's birthplace & year I might be able to find her with William on 1851. What was William's occupation? nell

Pete

Pete Report 10 Dec 2005 15:29

From the IGI: WILLIAM HILL Marriages: Spouse: ELIZABETH UNSWORTH Marriage: 07 AUG 1859 Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire, So perhaps the marriage took place on the Cathedral whcih was also the parish church. Pete

Loki

Loki Report 10 Dec 2005 16:06

Thanks Nell. WILLIAM UNSWORTH was a gamekeeper. ELIZABETH UNSWORTH was born~1833 Fearnhead, Padgate, (Warrington), Lancashire. She seems to live all her life in Warrington. Warrington is in Cheshire now, BUT I think was in Lancs back then? Geoff.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 10 Dec 2005 19:13

Manchester Cathedral operated a policy of 'No questions asked' marriages, which in reality meant that anyone from anywhere could marry there. Sorry about that! Olde Crone

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 10 Dec 2005 20:17

Is this Elizabeth on 1851 Name: Elizabeth Unsworth Age: 20 Estimated birth year: abt 1831 Relation: Servant Gender: Female Where born: Fearnhead, Lancashire, England Civil parish: Warrington Ecclesiatical parish: St Paul Town: Warrington County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Source information: HO107/2203 Registration district: Warrington Sub-registration district: Warrington ED, institution, or vessel: 1x Folio: 603 Page: 5 Household schedule number: 18 GSU Number: 87213 Maureen

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 10 Dec 2005 22:41

Geoff, 1851 worth a look - only suggesting this as sometimes the first daughter is named after the mother Civil parish: Culcheth County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Source information: HO107/2204 Registration district: Leigh Sub-registration district: Lowton ED, institution, or vessel: 1a Folio: 148 Page: 3 Household schedule number: 11 GSU Number: 87214 William Unsworth abt 1811 Culcheth, Lancashire, England Head Elizabeth Unsworth abt 1811 Culcheth, Lancashire, England Wife Cornelius Unsworth abt 1847 Culcheth, Lancashire, England Son Thomas Unsworth abt 1843 Culcheth, Lancashire, England Son William Unsworth abt 1850 Culcheth, Lancashire, England Son Winifred Unsworth abt 1842 Culcheth, Lancashire, England Daughter Culcheth William is listed as gamekeeper Household schedule 10 has a Thomas Unsworth age 63 - a farmer of 11 acres and staying with him is a James Unsworth age 20 listed as nephew Both household schedules have the address of Great Stone Maureen

Loki

Loki Report 12 Dec 2005 17:42

Thanks very much, That would indeed seem to be the Unsworth family in 1851. Does anyone have 1861/71? This might confirm it? I KNOW that Elizabeth's husband was born in Lowton! Geoff.