Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newspaper look up for Plymouth 1880

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 14 Nov 2007 20:48

Looking for Margaret McArthur (22yrs), leaving Plymouth on 23 april 1880 on SHIP " Windsor Castle" arriving in Rockhampton Australia 1880.

Margaret was born in Scotland, wondering why she left from Plymouth.

Is there a write up in the paper about leaving port or passenger lists? any pictures at all? General history interests me as much as my ancestor.

Many thanks
Julie
in Australia

Sue C

Sue C Report 14 Nov 2007 21:13

This is not what you were asking for, but I found this Margaret in 1871. Do you know if she is yours?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MCARTHUR, Robert Head M 37 Scotland VIEW
MCARTHUR, Mary Wife F 34 Hertfordshire VIEW
MCARTHUR, Maragret Daughter F 13 Scotland VIEW
STAMP, Sarah Mother-In-Law F 66 Hertfordshire VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
RG10 Piece:
4683 Folio:
100 Page:

Registration District:
Sheffield Sub District:
Sheffield, North EnumerationDistrict:
33 Ecclesiastical Parish:

Civil Parish:
Sheffield Municipal Borough:
Sheffield Address:
Summer Street Yard, Sheffield County:
Yorkshire

Diane

Diane Report 14 Nov 2007 21:18

Plymouth was a major port for emigrations.

Do you know if the ship also collected passengers in Liverpool or Glasgow, maybe Plymouth was its last leaving port of the UK?

Also, Margaret may have come south to go into domestic service for work say from age 15ish to 22 before she decided to emigrate, so may have been closer to the English ports than her home town.

Of course, if the census Sue found above is correct, then she and her family were in Yorkshire in 1871 already..

Julie

Julie Report 15 Nov 2007 06:42

Thankyou Ladies,

Diane it is good to know that ...I shall look for margaret in the census just pryor to her departure I guess.

Sue, thankyou but my Margaret is the daughetr of James McArthur (Mcarter) and Margaret Ross of Scotland (Angus or inverness).

dahani

dahani Report 15 Nov 2007 08:06

Hi Julie

This is the email of the Library in Plymouth. I don't know if they can help you but you don't know unless you try?

[email protected]

Regards
Jill

Julie

Julie Report 18 Nov 2007 21:39

Thank you so much Jill...

I just got a reply from the library, with a little info.

Julie in Australia

dahani

dahani Report 24 Nov 2007 13:43

Good to hear.
Regards
Jill