Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Look up assistance

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Mama*HOTLIPS* Rambo~

~Mama*HOTLIPS* Rambo~ Report 23 Nov 2007 11:39

Hi

I found a part of my family in the 1851 census but one of the children is missing.

The family were in the local workhouse in Cockermouth but Mary is missing

The family is
Elizabeth Richardson (betty on the 1851 census) b abt 1829 although says 1828 on the census.
Michael Richardson b abt 1846
Jane Richardson b abt1850
Their sister Mary Richardson is not on the inmates list she was b abt 1849

They are all on the 1861 cenus with another addition who is my direct ancestor William Richardson b abt1860.

Also on the 1861 census there is another girl Hannah Thompson on the info it says she is daughter to Elizabeth but came to a brick wall with it.

any help would be appriceated

Catherine

Would anyone be able to help me try to find Mary please?

imp

imp Report 23 Nov 2007 12:19

I think that the Hannah Thompson on the 1861 census looks more likely to be the lodgers daughter, not Elizabeths.

Gail.

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 23 Nov 2007 12:32

Perhaps her age on the census is incorrect. They often guessed at ages in families back then.

Incidentally, there is only one birth entry for a Mary Richardson born in Cockermouth between 1849 - 1851 - and she was born in 1851. This could well be your Mary.

Name: Mary Richardson
Year of Registration: 1851
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Cockermouth
County: Cumbria, Cumberland
Volume: 25
Page: 106

Regards

Athena

~Mama*HOTLIPS* Rambo~

~Mama*HOTLIPS* Rambo~ Report 23 Nov 2007 12:40

Couldbe

Thank you I have checked the census more closely and I tend to agree with you.

Thanks for the help

Catherine

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 23 Nov 2007 12:53

Hi Catherine,

That entry Sophie found should also be followed up, I think.

If Mary was born prior to the 1851 census, could she have been taken in by a relative when Betty ended up in the workhouse? A grandparent or aunt perhaps?

I think that finding her birth cert, to confirm either way if she was born prior to the 1851 census or not, is an essential step in you solving this mystery.

So you have at least two possibilities - 1848 and 1851 births. If it turns out she was born 1848 then she should be listed on the census somewhere.

Regards

Athena

~Mama*HOTLIPS* Rambo~

~Mama*HOTLIPS* Rambo~ Report 23 Nov 2007 12:58

Thanks to all it is very much appreciated for all you hard work done