Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1841 help please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

cane

cane Report 23 Nov 2007 23:37

hiya.
i was just hunting around on ancestry and i came across this little baby in the workhouse age one month,but i cannot read her name properly only this MARY ANN ? also there is another word next to her name,please can u help and if possible did she make it to the 1851 census.
the info............
HO107-
PIECE 1157
BOOK 3
WORKHOUSE FOLIO 40
PAGE 4
LINE 5
thanks gwen xx

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 24 Nov 2007 00:07

Is she the one on Ancestry who is 7 weeks old?
The last name is transcribed as Consturt. It could be that. She's in Droxford Union Workhouse, Hampshire.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 24 Nov 2007 00:09

Mary Ann Sykes aged 1 month?

Brennan

Brennan Report 24 Nov 2007 00:09

I think this is the one you are looking for but i cannot read the writing after the name but have noticed with the other babies names it has the same after each one

bren

Name: Mary Ann Sybres
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1841
Where born: Westmorland, England

Civil Parish: Kirkby Stephen
Hundred: East
County/Island: Westmorland

Registration district: East Ward
Sub-registration district: Kirkby Stephen

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 24 Nov 2007 00:12

Also Mary Lykes (Sykes) aged 25

cane

cane Report 24 Nov 2007 00:58

thanks claire.
just had another look and looks like mary sykes is mary anns mother. name of SYKES.mum and baby are not together on 51.then on 61 mary has another little girl name of jane age 4yrs and back in the workhouse (same one same place).
cannot find anything on her first baby regards death or birth details.may-be she was adopted.
gwen xx
WOW cheers bren.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 24 Nov 2007 00:59

Oopsie! I had the wrong one! Yes, she's transcribed Mary ann Sybres but I think it's Mary Ann Sykes. Also between the 25 yr. old Mary Ann Sykes and baby Mary A is a 25 yr. old John Hobson, shoemaker. (The father perhaps?)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 24 Nov 2007 01:06

I think that the word written after the babies' names is just "monthes". It was then crossed out and "mos" put in the age column.

cane

cane Report 24 Nov 2007 01:20

cheers margaret,i wonder what became of her babies.mary sykes died in 1870s her date of birth was put down as1806 where as on the censuses its 1816.