Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WESTCOTT mystery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beverley

Beverley Report 29 Oct 2007 07:34

I am trying to solve a mystery - can anybody help please? The first husband of my grt grandfather's second wife (Matilda BUSH) was William Henry WESTCOTT. They married on 9 November 1865 in Pebmarsh, Essex.

He was born about 1845 in Bridford, Devon, son of Joseph Westcott, occ: Thatcher, and Sarah. His Occ: Soldier at the Tower of London/Private in the 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards. William and Matilda had 2 children. In 1871 he is in Barracks in London; she is a servant elsewhere and their 2 children are living with her parents in Pebmarsh.

The children are:
i) William Henry Westcott b. 6 Dec.1865 Pebmarsh Occ: Soldier in the 7th Dragoon Guards. He married Martha Emma BAILEY 25 Dec. 1896 St Saviour’s, Battersea. On this cert, father is given as Blacksmith, deceased. They then lived and died in Croydon. Don't believe they had any children.
ii) Mary Jane Ann Westcott b. 24 Feb. 1869 Pebmarsh. I don't know what happened to her after 1881 when she was living with her mother and stepfather (my g grandfather George BUTCHER) in Dalston, and she was called Jane BUTCHER.

My grt grandmother's name was Matilda BUSH born 17 May 1843 in Pebmarsh, Essex. She married my grt grandfather, George BUTCHER on 14 June 1877 at All Saints, Haggerston, London . On this marriage cert she states she is a Spinster and that WH Westcott is her father, which is not true.....

The problem is I cannot find a death for Wm Henry WESTCOTT snr, even looked in the indexes for deaths abroad, nor can I find a marriage or death for Mary Jane Ann. I can't find WH snr. in 1881, but then he may have been serving abroad if he was still alive and I can't find MJA in 1891 or 1901.

I would love to know what became of WH snr and MJA, and find any possible descendants for MJA.

Dorsetbaby

Dorsetbaby Report 29 Oct 2007 13:35

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Dec 1865

Bush Matilda Halstead 4a 617

WESTCOTT William Henry Halstead 4a 617
Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Jun 1877

Butcher George Shoreditch 1c 228

Westcott Matilda Shoreditch 1c 228

whizzo2468

whizzo2468 Report 23 Feb 2023 18:11

My Grandmother was a Westcott. My Great Grandfather's brother was William H Westcott about 1864 to 1936, so this is probably the other Westcott you found. He was a missionary in the Congo and set up a school in Dormansland, Sussex and then in the Congo. Kind Regards Deborah Hey-Smith (nee Hey)

whizzo2468

whizzo2468 Report 23 Feb 2023 18:13

My tree comes up as Elizabeth Deborah Hey

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Feb 2023 18:13

This is also a very old thread. Beverley also seems to still be a member so click on her name and send her a pm. If she has kept her email address up to date she will be notified.