Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Wilkinson b 1883

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 10 Nov 2008 09:51

I am looking for George Wilkinson b 1883, son of John William Wilkinson and Edith Carr (from Newcastle) - however the parents came south in 1879 and settled in Hoxton, London. He appears on the 1891 Census - but not the 1901 - he has left home by then.
He possibly appears in the 1901 Census as working in a drapers shop in Shoreditch. Now Aunt Louie (88 years old) sister of my father - she lived in Dalston, Hackney, says they had no problem with meat during the war - it all came from Uncle George, which suggests he may have been a butcher. She suggests he got married and had children - but has been out of touch for 63 years now. So I am looking for probably his grandchildren in Hoxton, Shoreditch, Hackney to get in touch with me - I am their second
cousin.
David Wilkinson

Linda

Linda Report 10 Nov 2008 10:32

For ref:/?

Marriages Dec 1876

Carr Edith Newcastle T. 10b 22
Wilkinson John William Newcastle T. 10b 22

Is this your George??

Births Jun 1883

WILKINSON George William Chelsea 1a 379

David

David Report 25 Nov 2008 08:57

Monk
Yes the John William Wilkinson and Edith Carr are mine - they got married at St Nicholas, Newcastle.
John William worked on railways - and got transferred to London (Hoxton - then Hackney) in 1879.
I am not sure whether George William b 1883 is mine - in Chelsea ???? All the other chidren of John and Edith were born in Hoxton - Shoreditch - Holborn areas - my grandad John Francis Wilkinson 1888 - 1951 was born Holborn- Finsbury area.
John and the other five daughters stayed in the East End of London upto WWII - when they were dispersed. My only link with the past Aunt Louie 88 years old remembers them all - but has been out of touch for the last 70 years.
This George did not appear on the 1901 Census - I believe he worked as shop assistant, and possibly in a butchers.
David Wilkinson

Pam

Pam Report 25 Nov 2008 09:10

Have you tried Quick Search at the top of the page....I found 4 possible entries for Edith Carr (one may be yours).

Pam

Pam Report 25 Nov 2008 09:19

Possible birth for John William ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Dec 1856 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wilkinson John William Tynemouth 10b 130

Edit:

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

Births Sep 1858 (>99%)

Wilkinson John William Newcastle T 10b 50

Births Dec 1858 (>99%)

Wilkinson John William Newcastle T 10b 30

David

David Report 29 Nov 2008 10:10

John William Wilkinson b.1858 from Newcastle. Third son of George and Jane Wilkinson - lived at 4 Hinde St, 2 Hanson Sq, 31 Duke St, 20 Clumber Rd,
in Newcastle. John William married Edith Carr and came souith to London in 1878.
I have come across the Tynemouth one before - he came south to London - was a mariner - settled in Stepney - and has relatives in Australia.
David Wilkinson