Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

looking for william wilkinson xxx

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Melanie

Melanie Report 22 Jun 2009 23:26

i am lookin for any information on my real grandad william wilkinson..i know he lived and worked at the textile factory in manchester and also lived in leicster and worked on the market there...i have no dob for him and my mum never met her real dad so all my information is limited..please if you think you may have some information please can you email me..thanxs melanie xxx

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 22 Jun 2009 23:33

But what you do have, Melanie, is a general idea of his date of birth.

I have grandparents born from 1891 to 1901. I suspect your grandparents were younger. Can you give us an idea?

Melanie

Melanie Report 23 Jun 2009 17:25

Hi yes my mum was born in 1956 in Manchester...... i believe william wilkinson was born in the 1920's as my nan was born in 1929 and i know he was older....my nans full name is joyce susan freakley her dob being 13.04.1929... my mum is gail patricia wilkinson her dob 22.4.1956.....my nan also changed my mums name to gail gray when she was around 4 years old......

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 23 Jun 2009 19:13

There you are, Melanie. ;) (I got a PM saying "he was ..." and I just had no idea who "he" was.)

Oh, poor you. Two hundred-ish William Wilkinsons born 1920-1930 -- and those are just the ones without middle names.

I don't suppose your William had a middle name, on your mum's birth certificate?

I'm afraid that our magic wands here probably are nowhere near long and strong enough to be able to help you, unfortunately.

Melanie

Melanie Report 23 Jun 2009 21:25

i know tell me about it i've only been looking for 10 years now :(
no william wilkinson has no middle name on my mums birth certificate. i know the birth certificate was registared in Barton and my mum was born at old trafford. i know he worked at a textile factory as this is on my mums birth cerficate too. Also there is an address but i've got to send of for a new birth certificate as my mum died 2 years ago i don't really want to ask my dad for it :( ..........

Melanie

Melanie Report 1 Jul 2009 09:21

Hi there i am looking for my real grandad william wilkinson..i have obtained a copy of my mums birth certificate and have a residence address now of 123 Northumberland road, old trafford,manchester....my mums name is gail patricia wilkinson and my nans name is joyce susan on the birth certificate surname wilkinson also known as freakley...my mums dob is 22.04. 1956 and my mums birth certificate was dated 16th may 1956...please can you help me ??? i have no dob for william wilkinson and no middle name but this address is a new lead for me ..thank you melanie horn

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 1 Jul 2009 21:26

I'm no expert on 20th century searches in England, but I think what most would suggest is that you look up that address on an electoral roll closest to your mum's date of birth. I believe these are in the local public libraries. If you mum was living with your dad, he may be listed there. ... Unfortunately, I don't think it would tell you anything more than that.

Was your mum's mother born in Ashby de la Zouche? If so, it looks like she had quite a few brothers and sisters. (Births with the same surname and same mother's surname, in the GRO births index at Ancestry.)

The youngest was born in the late 30s. Are any still living, and might they know anything about William? Or might their children, your mum's first cousins?

Your mum's surname was changed by her mum; does she have half-brothers or half-sisters? It looks like she has one half-brother younger than her. I guess he wouldn't know anything, of course.

I had a look at telephone directory listings in the 1950s in Manchester, at Ancestry, but there isn't a Freakley or Wilkinson at that address that I can see. Rather than just use the search function, I also used trial and error to find the images for the pages in the 1956 telephone book where W Wilkinson (image 734 for 1956 Manchester etc.) and J Freakley (image 250) would have appeared, but no joy.

(I also tried searching for surname %$# at 123 Northumberland in Manchester, a little trick I've found sometimes works when you don't know a surname. But I found only 123 Northumberland in Liverpool.)

Unfortunately, I doubt that anyone is likely to be able to offer much better suggestions.

One thing one could try is door-knocking on the block of Northumberland Rd where they lived, to see whether there are any long-time residents who might remember your mum's parents. I know that if you asked my mum about the neighbours on the street where we lived in the late 1950s, she would be able to tell you all about them! She would probably know what had become of one of her neighbour's spouses after they split, or know someone who would. ;)

Melanie

Melanie Report 24 Jul 2009 19:05

Hi Maybe you can help me some more please :) i have obtained a email from Trafford council and there were three people living at the address of 123 Northumberland Road Old Trafford.. in 1956 the year my mum was born They were William Wilkinson, Joyce Wilkinson & Jane Gordon ( Iv'e no idea who Jane is ) i'm now under the impression that William Wilkinson died in Leicstershire in the last 15 years.....i just wish i could obtain a dob for william wilkinson.....

Melanie

Melanie Report 10 Jan 2012 19:42

Hi a little more information..william wilkinson had a sister called maud wilkinson and they lived in the salford area of manchester and william wilkinson went by the nickname of Wilko any help will be so appreciated.
thank you
melanie x

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 10 Jan 2012 19:58

Hi Melanie.

Things move on and we are now several years later.

Thank you for sticking witht he same post, you could do with adding the word 'update' to your thread title, this will show people you are still looking!

I shall have a look about now and see what i can find.

Did you ever solve whom Jane was?

Tracey x

Mike *

Mike * Report 10 Jan 2012 20:05

If you could get William's age and father's name from the marriage cert to your nan it would whittle it down a bit.

Perchino

Perchino Report 10 Jan 2012 20:26

Could this be sister Maud's birth:

Births Sep 1914 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WILKINSON Maud Sutton Barton I. 8c 1203

Melanie

Melanie Report 11 Jan 2012 19:11

I don't know if Maud sutton barton is his sister as i have no date of birth did she have a brother called william and from salford area ????? salford in manchester
thanks
melaniex

Melanie

Melanie Report 11 Jan 2012 19:12

hi mike

they never got married and i don't know his father's name sorry x

Mike *

Mike * Report 11 Jan 2012 19:27

" I don't know if Maud sutton barton is his sister"

The entry is actually :

WILKINSON MAUD - Mother's maiden name Sutton - Born Barton Upon Irwell

Renes

Renes Report 11 Jan 2012 20:57

Mike *

I have seen 100 s of freebmd entries ---

I have to say as you did not give a source ref I also read it as Melanie did

Melanie

Melanie Report 11 Jan 2012 21:35

looking just now i seem to have found a lilian m wilkinson born june 1932 and a william wilkinson born december 1930 both in salford and both have a mother's maiden name of ROCHE i think both are still alive as no deaths registered and now don't know wat to do :o( x any ideas ?? x
Thanxs
Melanie x

jax

jax Report 11 Jan 2012 21:41

i believe william wilkinson was born in the 1920's as my nan was born in 1929 and i know he was older

So if he was older, someone born 1930 cannot be him?