Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Carol Moore

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 3 Feb 2006 14:49

I am looking for the two marriages of a John Wilkinson b1822, on the 1861 cenus he had a wife called Mary, but on the 1851 cenus he was a widower with two children Joseph, Ann. Carol Moore

Simon

Simon Report 22 May 2008 16:27

Hi,

There were 4 Joseph Wilkinsons born in Leeds in 1843. You could order the certificates from the GRO and put in a reference check for "Father's First Name = John". You may get lucky and have only one certificate sent to you. This would have Joseph's mother's name on it and you could then do a marriage search for John Wilkinson + her name in Leeds between 1842 & 1843.

It would cost you a minimum of £19.00 to do it this way - but you would know the name of his first wife.

Simon

Simon

Simon Report 22 May 2008 16:30

I think I've found John Wilkinson on the 1841 Census in Beeston - son of William & Mary.

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1342; Book: 5; Civil Parish: Beeston; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 27; Folio: 21; Page: 5; Line: 17; GSU roll: 464285.

Names dates and location seem to fit.

Simon

Sam

Sam Report 22 May 2008 16:40

Simon, the original post is over 2 years old...

Simon

Simon Report 24 Feb 2009 00:22

I'm sorry Sam from Stoke,

I wasn't aware there was a time limit on offering help on this site.

Oh, how foolish I feel... thank you for setting me straight.

Simon

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 24 Feb 2009 18:40

Simon, there's actually a point. ;)

Your post is unlikely to reach the original poster. Three years on, many people have left the site. No notice of replies in threads is sent out. Notice is sent of personal messages -- if you click on her name and send one, it will reach her, *if* she still has the same email address.

This is very common, when people look at those dreadful "surname boards" and don't realize that what they're seeing is ancient history much of the time.