Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Herbert Frederick Wilson, 1908-88: looking for sib

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Edd

Edd Report 16 Jun 2008 03:06

Bert was my father-in-law. His mother introduced him to people as her "second son". He married Dorothy (Dy) Riggall (1912-98) in about 1938, and their children were Ronald (b.1940) and Janet (1944-95).
I would be grateful for information about Bert's brothers and sisters in particular, or his ancestors in general.
Thanks,
Edd Lynch.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 16 Jun 2008 06:15

Do you know when Bert's parents married? That would narrow the search for their children somewhat. But you'd likely still end up with a large field of candidates, Wilsons born in Croydon (info you omitted, but found Bert's birth record).

If you don't know when they married, you can find the record by searching for their names at

http://www.freebmd.org.uk

(click the red "search" button in the lower left to proceed to the search page)

Did they have other children after Bert? If you don't know, you might be able to find out.

If you know his mother's birth surname, or find it from the marriage record, you can search after mid-1911 for Wilson births with that mother's surname.

One thing you might consider if you feel like spending a little money.

Bert's 1908 birth cert will likely have an address for the parents on it. You could apply for access to the 1911 census record for that address, in the hope they were still living there. It would give the names and ages of everyone living at the address.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/1911census

Or just wait for that census to come out. ;)

Julcoe

Julcoe Report 16 Jun 2008 06:17

Is this his birth...

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983
about Herbert Frederick Wilson
Name: Herbert Frederick Wilson
Year of Registration: 1908
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Croydon
County: Greater London, Kent, Surrey
Volume: 2a
Page: 337

If you get this certificate it should tell you his parents full names, and help find their marriage

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 16 Jun 2008 06:31

Yes, that's the one I was talking about. Assumed Edd knew their names, i.e. at least the mother's first name, to find the marriage. ;)

Shame you didn't mention, Edd. All the info available is what's needed for getting help! C'mon back ...