Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

David Henry Wilson, Ireland and South Africa

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Serena

Serena Report 1 Aug 2008 14:12

Trying to find out what happened to my great grandfather David Henry Wilson, born 1876 Ireland. Married Rose Hilda Coogan 1897 Trinity Presbytarian Church, Shelton, Stoke on Trent, England. He left the family and moved to South Africa. his son Harry visited but returned very soon not liking his father's life over there. Did he remarry ? when did he die ? Any help would be appreciated
Thank you
Serena

Serena

Serena Report 8 May 2012 11:03

As i had no luck 4 years ago i thought i would give it another go and wondered if there were any new eyes around to help

The info i have is my great grandfather was born in Ireland, his father is listed on his marriage certificate as Samuel , a Weaver

He married as listed above in 1897 and lived 1901 Sparrow Terrace, Wolstanton, Staffordshire.
His wife is listed 1911 with her children, 38 Alexandra Rd, Burslem, No David
We know he went to South Africa as his son visited 1920,but don't know where
I can not find any trace of David either before 1897 or after his children were born, the last in 1908

With out an area of birth or death i can not go any further, Can anybody help ?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 May 2012 14:54

Hi Serena - welcome back

Name: Rose Hilda Coogan
Birth Year: 1867
Birthplace: Tunstall, Staffordshire, England
Relationship to Head of Household: Daughter
Marital Condition: Single
Profession/Occupation: Scholar
Address: 93 & 95 High St
Census Place: Wolstanton, Staffordshire, England
Disability:
Record Type: Household
Family History Library Film: 1341649
The National Archives Reference: RG11
Piece/Folio: 2710 / 59
Page Number: 15
Household Gender Age
Parent Dennis Coogan M 45
Parent Mary Ann Coogan F 45
Rose Hilda Coogan F 14
Emma Kirne F 16

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 May 2012 15:03

Dennis COOGAN Head M Male 45 Carlow County, Ireland Grocer & Beerseller
Mary Ann COOGAN Wife M Female 45 Tunstall, Stafford, England
Rose Hilda COOGAN Daur U Female 14 Tunstall, Stafford, England Scholar
Emma KIRNE Serv. U Female 16 Roscommon County, Ireland Domestic Servant

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 93 & 95 High St.
Census Place Wolstanton, Stafford, England
Family History Library Film 1341649
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 2710 / 59
Page Number 15

Serena

Serena Report 8 May 2012 15:37

Hi Anne, thanks for looking

I have all the details of Rose[ although i cann't trace Denis' family in Ireland either]
I just cann't find David. The census only lists him as from Ireland and it's a big place !!!

we know he left his family and went to South Africa but i have no idea if he stayed . All we know is his son went over to see if he could make a life over there but he didn't like the 'set up ' his dad had ... not sure what that meant. so he returned to the U.K

My mum and her brother's would love to know what happened to him and if he married again and had more children