Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

searching for grandad

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

51year59

51year59 Report 17 May 2009 15:16

Trying to trace grandad's date of birth, birthplace etc; His name was Freddrick Wilson The last address I think he lived at when my mum was born was 5 Lane Ends, Castleford. His occupation was as a miner and he was in 1st world war (he was gassed in this war).He married Frances Baker and they had children: Mary, Alice, Olive, Jessie and Annie(my mum born in 1930, December). He had a sister my mum used to vist called Lottie and the last place I remember her living at was near pontefract, Yorkshire. Would appreciate any information, not sure when he died but Frances married again to Freddrick Lund and had two chhildren:Maureen and Patricia, they were born in 1938,1940.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 17 May 2009 15:18

Hi,

A possible marriage????

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Sep 1914 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baker Frances A Wilson Pontefract 9c 271 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Parsons Elizabeth Starks Pontefract 9c 271
Starks Thomas A Parsons Pontefract 9c 271
WILSON Fred Baker Pontefract 9c 271 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

If you order his marriage certificate, this will give you his age and fathers name and occupation.......... this would make your search easier.

Dee xx

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 17 May 2009 15:47

Hi Hilda,

Also on the 1911 with a fred Wilson born 1890 is;

HOUSEHOLD WILSON LOTTIE F 1909 2 Pontefract Yorkshire West Riding
HOUSEHOLD WILSON JACK M 1899 12 Pontefract Yorkshire West Riding
HOUSEHOLD WILSON WILLIE M 1893 18 Pontefract Yorkshire West Riding
HOUSEHOLD WILSON BEN M 1886 25 Pontefract Yorkshire West Riding
HOUSEHOLD WILSON MARY ANN F 1862 49 Pontefract Yorkshire West Riding
HOUSEHOLD WILSON JOHN M 1857 54 Pontefract Yorkshire West Riding

If this is the correct family, this is them in 1901 (ages slighly out)

1901 England Census
about Fred Wilson
Name: Fred Wilson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889
Relation: Son
Father's Name: John
Mother's Name: Mary Ann
Where born: Pontefract, Yorkshire, England

Civil Parish: Pontefract
Ecclesiastical parish: St Giles
Town: Pontefract
County/Island: Yorkshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Pontefract
Sub-registration district: Pontefract
ED, institution, or vessel: 21
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 147
Household Members: Name Age
John Wilson 51
Mary Ann Wilson 38
Ben Wilson 17
Fred Wilson 12
Willie Wilson 10
John Wilson 4 <<<<<<<<<<<< Jack
Martha Wilson 1

Dee x

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 17 May 2009 15:47

Hilda

It would be a good idea if you looked at, and acknowledged, info provided on your other thread (Whitaker) ................

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 17 May 2009 15:49

This looks like him in 1901, but as Dee says, you should start by getting the marriage certificate.

Name: Frederick Wilson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Frederick
Mother's Name: Martha
Where born: Castleford, Yorkshire, England

Civil Parish: Castleford
Registration district: Pontefract

Frederick Wilson 49
Martha Wilson 53
Wm T Wilson 16
Frederick Wilson 13
Nellie Wilson 10
George Foster 27
John E Foster 19
Martha Caldrick 15

With the approx year and the registration district of birth, you can have a look for his birth at FreeBMD.

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

1888 in the 1901 would suggest he was likely born in 1887 -- and unfortunately, there are two "Fred Wilson" births in Pontefract district in 1888, but no other Fred* 1886-1888. So you might end up having to order more than one birth cert to get a match with the father on his marriage cert.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 17 May 2009 15:50

ricochet - you were just a bit too slow for me to avoid wasting time, it seems.

It helps if you give the URL for other threads in these instances!

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 17 May 2009 15:50

Looks like little Martha died;

Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page

Deaths Mar 1905 (>99%)

WILSON Martha 4 Pontefract 9c 83

I would still buy the marriage certificate.........I'd hate to have sent you off down the wrong tracks!!!!!!

Dee xx

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 17 May 2009 15:51

If you read my posting, janey, you will note the different surname...............

Don't preach, please.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 17 May 2009 15:54

Release that bug, ricochet. I'm not sure that surname was there when I saw your post.

It is still helpful to other posters if you offer the URL for the other thread. If you want to take my saying that as preaching, you feel free.

If you took my saying "you were a bit too slow" as preaching rather than kidding, the problem is yours.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 17 May 2009 15:57

Dee, we have competing Fred Wllsons!

Mine shows as born in Castleford, in the 1901. I'll bet on mine. ;) Thankfully, they have different fathers, so the marriage certificate will tell.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 17 May 2009 16:04

JaneyCanuck................ think I'll be betting on mine, Lottie in the 1911 household, most possibly his sister, first child born Mary A in 1916........ Fred's mothers name???? Ohhh Mary Ann in 1901.

Time will tell.............. just hoping Hilda will let us know in the near future.

Oh by the way I'll bet my pile of ironing against yours......... what do ya think???

Dee xxx

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 17 May 2009 16:18

You'll win either way! I haven't ironed anything since about 1992. ;)

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 17 May 2009 16:24

JaneyCanuck............... not since @ 1992, is that a record I wonder????

Tumble dry it, get it out when it's dry and hot, fold it and stack it.......... that's me anyway (unless a special occassion.......thank God that's not very often!!!)

Dee x

51year59

51year59 Report 17 May 2009 16:46

wow there!

seems I'm causing havoc, just to let you know I do appreciate your help and I do intend to get certificate just needed info to put me in right direction. Only person I knew about in connection with my grandad was auntie lottie. I remember photos of her although I have none myself and do not have any correspondance with wilson family which I would love to be able to achieve. Anyway just to let you know I will let you know which Freddrick Wilson turns out to be my grandad. Was hoping to ask for help with Grandma (frances Baker) but I do not want to offend other people with my slow responses and lack of knowledge on conposing a family tree

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 17 May 2009 16:48

Janey

My reference to your 'preaching' was in connection with your instruction about posting the URL.

Observant people on here will know that I do - where relevant. In this case, it wasn't,

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 17 May 2009 17:02

Hi Hilda,

I can't see a birth that could fit with the marriage, when you have the marriage certificate it will confirm her age and fathers name and occupation............ hopefully we'll be able to find her then.

All the best, Dee xx

51year59

51year59 Report 18 May 2009 20:20

I can see what you mean. I have a telegram letting family member know of her death which was dated 17-04-1964. Looked up death from this. Records it as her being 64yrs old? But the marrige record say they married in 1914. Lillian her eldest child was born in 1916 and her last child to her second husband was born in 1940. I cannot trace a birth certificate.