Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wilson - England, Nova Scotia, U.S., late 1800s

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 7 Nov 2009 21:26

I've had a message from Sally asking for help in this search, and we all know how I haaaate PM stuff. ;) So I'm starting a thread for her and I'll keep poking around, and anyone else who likes can too, of course.

... Right now the question he was born in Halifax (they were visiting her parents I should imagine, they did more than once and how they could afford it in the late 1800s early 1900s I don't know), one parent was English one Canadian

I cannot find a baptism for him over here so what I would like to know is would he have been registered as a Canadian citizen or as a British and born abroad.

He was born 1894, his parents and 4 siblings travelled over in April 1892, I don't know what his father was doing at this time as he was mostly a miner but when he married, 1883, he was a soldier.

In response, I said, essentially:

... there was no such thing as Canadian citizenship at the time - Canadians were British subjects.

Nova Scotia vital records (BMDs) are available on line, so you're in luck there. Start here:

https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/

Regardless of his status he should appear in NS records if he was born there.

There were in fact a lot of British military in Halifax, the Citadel being one of the oldest military installations on the continent. Even after 1867, when Canada united as a Dominion with home rule, the British military continued to serve as the defence force for some time. (Hey, I hated history as a kid, but I've had to look this all up to help out people here at GR!) As late as 1894, I don't think, but they might have been back in NS for other reasons. If the father married in NS in 1883 (? you said his wife's family was there) he would quite likely have been posted there. There was certainly also mining in NS -- Cape Breton was one big mine.

Sally replied:

I have had a quick look at both the sites you mentioned and although I couldn't find a birth for any of the children I did find a marriage for my relation, and also one of the other children.

My relations were in England in the 1891 census and in the 1901 census. They left Liverpool, England for Halifax NS on 26 April 1892 on the Caspian, I don't know when they returned because I have never bothered to find out, the ship looking at the record called at Baltimore, USA. Travelling together were:

Frances Fisher, Charles, Harrick (should be Harriet), Jonnie (John), Maggie (Margaret), Sarah.

On the 1901 census the child is down as being born in the USA but on the 1911 census it says Halifax, Nova Scotia so one of them must be wrong.

If you would like to look and see if you can find births of any of them the names are:

William Fisher c1894
[William Fisher Wilson, I assume - JC]
this is the one born outside of the UK
his parents are
Charles and Frances Victoria Wilson,
their marriage I found on the NS genealogy site, October 1883,

but some kind person in NS had sent me a photocopy of the marriage cert some years ago (I am just updating things at the moment). I also found one of the other Wilson girls marriages Jeannette so I looked at that and she married the witness on Charles and Frances certificate.

on the 1881 census they were living in Dartmouth, Halifax, NS. Details as taken from that census are:

John 62 Ireland C. Presbyterian (all the same religion)
Margaret 52 Nova Scotia (all the rest born NS)
Mary 21
Jennit (Jeannette) 23
Sarah 19
Francis 17 (should be Frances)
William J 14
David B 11
William 7
John H 5

I assume all the children are John and Margarets but you never know the two younger ones may not be although one of my other relatives had a child at 47.

If you have any other ideas as to where I can look I would be most grateful, I did also hear that some of Charles and Frances children may have gone to live in NS but I don't really know.

WOW hope you can make head or tail of all that my head is pounding from typing it.

Thanks in advance.

So ... I shall think, and welcome company. ;)

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 7 Nov 2009 21:39

In a nutshell Janey??
Name and year of birth for 1 child to search for on overseas?

Edit..you have gmail coming in for 2nd opinion of 1911 image if you will please?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 7 Nov 2009 21:46

Yeah, well, I was confused. I always am when people put two names with a surname at the end - I assume the surname applies to both people.

William Fisher c1894
[William Fisher Wilson, I assume - JC] >> nope - Fisher
this is the one born outside of the UK
his parents are
Charles and Frances Victoria Wilson >> Charles FISHER and Frances Victoria Wilson
(Frances Wilson being the one in the 1881 Canadian census I guess)
their marriage I found on the NS genealogy site, October 1883,

I finally tried that in the 1901 census.

Name: William Fisher
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1894
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Charles
Mother's Name: Fanny
Where born: United States

Civil parish: Rugeley

Charles Fisher 44
Fanny Fisher 36 - born NS
Maggie Fisher 13
Harriet Fisher 11
John Fisher 9
William Fisher 7
Ada Fisher 4

Everybody else born Rugeley, Staffordshire, England.

The closest birth in NS is William Albert Fisher born 1890 in Halifax County, father John, mother Isabella, so no go.

The 1901 census does clearly say "United States America (British Subject)", but as Sal says, that could be an enumerator's interpretation of "America", which is of course where Canada is.

(No Canadian has ever called the USA "America" the way you Europeans do, and other Americans like Cubans and Brazilians don't think much of the practice. Canadians have always (way back to the 1800s) called that place "the States".)

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 7 Nov 2009 21:58

Nothing to suit William Fisher 1894ish born Canada or US on FMP.

Anything else while Im here?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 7 Nov 2009 22:09

The family travelling home to England? Looks to have been between 1893 and 1896.

Births Sep 1896
Fisher Ada Lichfield 6b 500

Sent you my opinion on the King thing.

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 7 Nov 2009 23:50

Travelling alone.

Name: Charles Fisher
Birth Date: abt 1856
Port of Departure: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Arrival Date: 9 Jan 1894
Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: Ohio
Search Ship Database: View the 'Ohio' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: No owner or agent listed
Official Number: 19376

No more info on image and I dont see the rest,but Im tired so will try again tommorow.

Staffslass

Staffslass Report 8 Nov 2009 09:26

Hi,

Thanks for looking so far here they are in the 1911 census which is why I was not 100% sure where I should look for his birth.

1911 census transcription details for: 5 Wharf Road Rugeley

National Archive Reference:

RG14PN16911 RG78PN1045 RD367 SD2 ED21 SN119

Reg. District: Lichfield Sub District: Rugeley
Parish: Rugeley Enum. District: 21

Address: 5 Wharf Road Rugeley
County: Staffordshire

Name Relation Condition/
Yrs married Sex Age Birth
Year Occupation Where Born

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FISHER, Charles Head Married M 55 1856 Miner Coal Hewer Rugeley Staffs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FISHER, Francis Wife Married
27 years F 47 1864 Halifax Nova Scotia

FISHER, Harriett Daughter Single F 21 1890 Tailoress Rugeley Staffs

FISHER, John Son Single M 19 1892 Miner Loader Coal Rugeley Staffs

FISHER, William Son Single M 17 1894 Miner Ponydriver Coal Halifax Nova Scotia <<<<<<<<<<<

FISHER, Ada Daughter F 14 1897 Shop Assistant Drapery Rugeley Staffs

FISHER, Ethel Daughter F 9 1902 Rugeley Staffs

FISHER, Lily Daughter F 6 1905 Rugeley Staffs

FISHER, Charles Son M 4 1907 Rugeley Staffs

Just to say the Lichfield birth is correct as that was the registration area for Rugeley.

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 8 Nov 2009 15:00

I have searched incoming passengers again for the family but do not see any that may be them.
Sorry
viv

Staffslass

Staffslass Report 8 Nov 2009 16:05

Ok, thank you very much for trying, it's just really annoying that you know someone was born but you can't find it. I wonder if they would have been allowed to register it when they returned to England, I might have to check that out.

I can't find a marriage for him either, or rather I should say without buying a certificate as his father and uncles all had children and I think they only knew a few names between them as the 3 boys all called their children the same names just born in different years.

Sal

Staffslass

Staffslass Report 10 Nov 2009 15:27

Hi,

Just to let those who have helped know I rang the GRO and was told I would be unlikely to find a record of William Fishers birth as if it was 'at sea' it would be up to the captain of that particular vessel if he recorded it and if it was USA/Canada it "might" be on overseas births so I think I will leave at he was born somewhere on the North American continent in around 1894.

Thank you for your help anyway.

Sal.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 10 Nov 2009 17:28

I think you can't go wrong with that. ;) Unless he was born in mid-Atlantic!