Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sarah Elizabeth Wilson did she Emigrate Abroad?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Albert Barnes

Albert Barnes Report 12 Nov 2009 16:25

I would love if somebody could help me find out if a Sarah Elisabeth Wilson B1918 ever Emigrated after March 1944 as she has somehow disappeared after giving birth to me in Springburn Glasgow have hopefull traced her parents but she is nowher to be found so wondered if she could have met a soldier in Glasgow and gone off to whereever.
Help would be very gratfully recieved.
Albert

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 Nov 2009 16:49

Hi Jock. It's only fair to readers to give a bit of background. ;)

You had a huge thread in which, starting from zero, several of us had worked together to find you an enormous amount of info -- Sarah's parents (father Scottish of Irish parents, mother Welsh, married in Wales after WWI meeting), their parents and siblings, her mother's remarriage, ruling out some false leads, getting closer to living relations of her father in Scotland -- and then zap.

In one of its famous "glitches", this system (without human intervention, of course, of course) deleted your thread, which we had worked on literally for months. There is no explanation, but you finally (after the bot response suggesting you had violated some rule, and after I spoke sharply to the other end, whether or not that helped!) got an apology.

So we wouldn't want anyone starting over again, searching for Sarah's identity, which has been pretty conclusively determined:

Name: Sarah E Wilson
Mother's Maiden Surname: Parnes > mistranscribed Barnes
Date of Registration: Oct Nov Dec 1918
Registration district: Bedwellty
Registration county: Wales
Volume Number: 11a
Page Number: 123

-- I can't even credit the clever clogs who first found that one now, with the thread gone.

She seems to have moved to Scotland with her parents, and the question is what she did after your birth in 1944.

Was it ever determined whether she had any Scottish-born siblings?

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 12 Nov 2009 18:53

Oh, I wondered what had happened to that thread......I didn't realise it had been *whooshed* in error!

Anyway, now that SP has marriages up to 2006 online I thought I'd have a quick look and see it there is anything that might fit the bill and found this:

No Year Surname (M) Forename (M) Surname (F) Forename (F) District City/County/MR GROS Data Image Extract
1 1958 GRANT ROBERT PEARSON WILSON ELIZABETH SARAH SPRINGBURN GLASGOW/LANARK 644/04 0107 No Image ORDER

Long shot I know :-)

Mary

Albert Barnes

Albert Barnes Report 12 Nov 2009 19:00

Thanks for the post Janey, and all your hard work over the last 6 Mths
The clever cloggs who got the origional Parnes/ Barnes details was Nigel who I think lives very close (New Zealand) Thanks Nigel.
Nigel also got her Father Daniels WW1 record which enabled us to make the necessary Scotland Link.
In case it is important to detail Sarah Elisabeth Wilson was born 27th Oct 1918'
I have also applied for the Death details of her Mothers second husband Edward Bale which janey found for me, might give some other names we are not aware of
I think a search was done by Jackie for children by Mother Sarah E Wilson.
I also did a lot of searching on Scotlands People and have a lot of my results pasted into Word.
If you think they might be of help I will sort them out and put them on here.
Jock

Albert Barnes

Albert Barnes Report 12 Nov 2009 19:08

Hi Mary thanks for your post
I did check that one out and if i remember correctly she was Sarah Elizabeth Macmillian Wilson
very gratfull for the thought
Jock

Albert Barnes

Albert Barnes Report 12 Nov 2009 19:33

Hi Mary
Correction getting my wilson's mixed up
Robert Pearson Grant Married Elizabeth Sarah Ross Wilson or Beveridge and her mother Was Christina Agnes Thomas Buchanan Brown Wilson, Might have been named after Scottish football team or something.
Jock

Albert Barnes

Albert Barnes Report 12 Nov 2009 20:21

Did find this among my searches and somehow passed it by
Search was for wilson births between 1918-1926
1924 WILSON JOHN BARNE M LANARK /LANARK 648/00 0121 No Image ORDER
Could be a Sibling for Sarah?, could the Barne really be Barnes?
Jock

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 Nov 2009 23:43

Absolutely Barne could be Barnes. I mean, Parnes was, wasn't it? ;)

I would order that for sure. No stone unturned.

Albert Barnes

Albert Barnes Report 13 Nov 2009 11:32

Thanks Janey
Will give that a try, although I have to admit that Scotlands People are no where as Quick and efficient as GRO, so might have a wait.
Jock

Albert Barnes

Albert Barnes Report 16 Nov 2009 20:47

Have just tried something else in my desperate search, and contacted
The Mitchell Library the Email is self Explanatory

Libraries, Information and Learning
The Mitchell
North Street
Glasgow G3 7DN
Phone: 0141 287 2999
Fax: 0141 287 2815
Email: [email protected]

The following details have been sent.

Your details:
Name Albert Barnes Wilson
Email [email protected]
Comment I was told by one of my helpers on genes Reunited who is helping me trace my mother I have never known.
I am led to believe that yo have record of patients in and out of Stobhill Hospital
I was born in that hospital on 18 March 1944
And my mother's Name was Sarah Elizabeth Barnes Wilson which is what is on my Birth Certificate although she does sign her Name Sarah Wilson
What is required is her Date of birth to confirm it is the same woman we have researched.
I do hope you can help as I desperately need to know,I have been without this knowledge for 65 years
Thanking you in anticipation
Albert Barnes Wilson

Albert Barnes

Albert Barnes Report 17 Nov 2009 20:24

Received Reply
Dear Mr Wilson,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Although the historical records of Greater Glasgow Health Board are housed in the Mitchell Library, the archives staff here do not have any responsibility for these records. You should direct your enquiry to the Greater Glasgow Health Board Archivist, Mr Alistair Tough. You can email him at [email protected]

Good luck with your search.

Yours sincerely,

Ms Elaine MacGillivray
Archivist
Archives and Special Collections
Culture and Sport Glasgow
The Mitchell Library
North St
Glasgow
G3 7DN
Phone 0141 287 2910
Fax 0141 226 8452
Email [email protected]

Jock

Albert Barnes

Albert Barnes Report 17 Nov 2009 20:28

Have written to Alistair Tough but bearing in mind that I hav already had contact with him, was told that I needed Proof of her death or her written consent; not promising but nothing ventured etc.
Details as follows>
Dear Alistair

Its me again, a lot has happened since I last wrote to you, I think will the help of very kind people on Genes Reunited that we have found my Mother,

It is thought she was born in Nantyglo Wales 27 November 1918 Her mother was Charlotte Maud Wilson born Nantyglo Wales and her Father Daniel James Wilson Born Dromore Co Tyrone

Andrew Lived in Springburn Glasgow and joined the Army there in 1917 He married Charlotte.

Daniels Parents came to Glasgow from Ireland around 1900 as they are in the Census living at 79 Plantation St Govan they had other children born in Glasgow

Daniel must have moved to Glasgow after the war with his family, this did not work out and they got divorced as Charlotte got remarried 1932 to Edward Bale in Nantyglo in Wales.

Unfortunately all this is only circumspect without proof that this Sarah Elizabeth Wilson was the same one that gave birth to me it all points towards her but I need the last bit of proof that she is the one.

I understand that you also have in your KEEP daily returns of patients from Stobhill maybe even Births for 18th March 1944, which hopefully would give my mothers age and hopefully date of Birth.

This would make an old man rest and be happy.

I do hope you can be of some help as Sarah appears to have disappeared after giving birth to me I have traced her father till his death 18th April 1955 at 250 Shawbridge St Glasgow.

I have lots of other details about the family but none that can confirm all our hard work is correct.

Your help would be gratefully received.

Yours Sincerely

Albert Barnes Wilson

Jock

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 17 Nov 2009 20:50

I've sent off a message to our Scottish expert asking about the 1924 Wilson birth (parents).

Should have thought of that earlier ...

Albert Barnes

Albert Barnes Report 17 Nov 2009 21:02

Thanks Janey
I have'nt done that one yet was waiting for the Bale death details to come first.
Jock

Albert Barnes

Albert Barnes Report 18 Nov 2009 15:49

Just Received Edward bale Death Details ( very interesting)
Death registered by Daughter would Charlotte have been the mother as Edward was regarded as a Bachelor when he got married not a divorce or widower
Details as Follows.
Registration District Merthyr Tydfil
County (NOW) Mid Glamorgan
Date of Death 21 June 1991
Where Prince Charles Hospital Merthyr
Name Edward Bale Male
Born 8 Oct 1904 Bedw as Mid Glam
Occupation Factory Packer (Retired)
Living at 17 Glan-yr-Afon, Rupella Street,
New Tredegar Mid Glam
Informant Margaret Saxby
19 Wimstree Close, Layer-de -la-Haye
Colchester Essex
Cause of Death Heart Disease
Registered 24 June 1991.

It seems like a few more bits to chew on
Jock

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 18 Nov 2009 16:11

Jock - I've PMed you detailed info - either we have the wrong Edward Bale (not seeing another candidate in births for the one Charlotte married) or he remarried after marrying Charlotte. There are a marriage for him and a birth for the daughter with the same wife/mother's surname, not Barnes or Wilson.

Gave you ER listing, and directions for asking Whirley for contact details for that daughter and her spouse!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 18 Nov 2009 23:11

Are you going to add the death info here Jock?

(Please -- no need to keep making me go dig around my inbox -- anything that it's appropriate to put here, I see when I look at My Threads!)

Charlotte Barnes Wilson Bale died in 1938 -- yes, I think that would for sure be the right death. So Edward remarried and had a child, and hopefully you're going to be able to contact her.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Nov 2009 20:13

Oops. Those are exactly the things I meant weren't appropriate for public posting, that's why I sent them to you privately. (A living person who doesn't know she's being talked about, who might not even be connected, and those are personal details about her.)

Would you delete the info about the daughter (including about her husband/her husband's name) from that post Jock, and just leave it at what I said above? --

He remarried after marrying Charlotte. There are a marriage for him and a birth for the daughter with the same wife/mother's surname, not Barnes or Wilson.

Charlotte Barnes Wilson Bale died, Edward Bale remarried and had a daughter, and it looks like it will be possible to contact her.

Albert Barnes

Albert Barnes Report 25 Nov 2009 20:04

Recieved today Charlotte Bale Death Cert
Which confirms we have the correct one
The death was Registered by her brother J.C Barnes who oddly enough I dont have down as a sibling, Could be a misprint on the J maybe it was ment to be T for Thomas Charles Barnes.
Then the phone rings and it is Margaret Saxby, sounds like a really lovely lady.
her father never told her he was married before, so she did not know too much.
From Charlotte's Death Cert I know that she went into hospital for a Uterine Fibroid operation and suffered a Pulmonary Embolism
The sad story was that her Husband Edward was called by the hospital to come and pick her up as she was ready to leave, when he turned up they took him straight to the Morgue where she laid dead.
Margaret also remembers being taken to the Newsagents and being always given lots of sweets and never understood why; later found out it was Charlotte's brothers Shop.
Thats about all she could tell me and suggested maybe I should try and persue the Barnes side of the family
So very interesting but not too helpful.
She did tell me a few other tales from her side of the family but they won't further the search
Jock

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 25 Nov 2009 22:33

If we're on the right trail, Charlotte was your grandmother. Now you do know more about her life.

Perhaps we should take a stab at tracking down the grandchildren of Charlotte's siblings ...

I see we haven't corrected the 1901 census record at Ancestry. Are you a subscriber there? Have we discussed this before? If you aren't, I can make the name correction and include an email address for you (I strongly recommend an anonymous account at www.gmail.com). That way any family member researching the household would be able to contact you.

Name: Charles M Barnes - this is Charlotte, right?
Age in 1901: 3
Estimated birth year: abt 1898
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Thomas
Mother's Name: Elizabeth
Where born: Abertillery, Monmouthshire, Wales

Civil parish: Aberystruth
County/Island: Monmouthshire

Thomas Barnes 35 - coal hewer
Elizabeth Barnes 23
Thomas Charles Barnes 12
Evan John Barnes 8
Charles M Barnes 3
Beatrice Barnes 5

We worked out that Elizabeth was Thomas's second wife and likely the mother of Charlotte, I believe.

BARNES CHARLOT 1898 13 Bedwellty Monmouthshire

BARNES THOMAS 1865 46
BARNES ELIZABETH 1873 38
BARNES THOMAS 1889 22
BARNES EVAN 1894 17
BARNES BEATRICE 1896 15
BARNES BEN 1902 9
BARNES WILLIAM 1905 6
BARNES PHILLYS 1910 1