Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Grave - is this the same man?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Potty

Potty Report 30 Oct 2010 12:25

I am trying to locate the grave of Adam Wilson who is mentioned on our village War Memorial (Creetown, Kirkmabreck Parish, Kirdcudbrightshire, Scotland) . He served in the Highland Light Infantry.

I have this entry from UK Soldiers who Died in the Great War:

Name: Adam Wilson
Birth Place: Creetown, Kirkcudbrightshire
Death Date: 10 Apr 1917
Death Location: Egypt
Enlistment Location: Irvine, Ayrshire
Regiment: Highland Light Infantry
Battalion: 6th (City of Glasgow) Battn. (Territorial)
Number: 243538
Type of Casualty: Died
Theatre of War: Egyptian Theatre

The only Adam Wilson b Creetown/Kirkmabreck on the 1901 census was born in 1893 and has a mother Grace and I found this entry on the CWGC site:

Name: WILSON
Initials: A
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Highland Light Infantry
Unit Text: 4th Bn.
Date of Death: 10/04/1917
Service No: 18256
Additional information: Son of Grace Wilson, of Carsphairn, Kirkcudbrightshire, and the late William Wilson.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 20.
Cemetery: DEIR EL BELAH WAR CEMETERY

Going back to 1891, Grace's husband was William. There was another son, Alex, whose Service Record I have found but he was medically discharged in 1916, so not the A Wilson in the CWGC record.

Apart from the Battalion and Service Nos, the two records look like the same man. What are the chances of a man of the same age, born in the same place dying on the same day and in the same place?

What does everybody think and does anyone have any ideas where else I can look?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Oct 2010 12:43

I would say that they are probably the same person.

You know that Grace and William had a son called Adam and the A.WILSON on the CWWG site was also the son of a Grace and late William, so that is yet another match.

Gwyn

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Oct 2010 12:43

Double posting by me.

Potty

Potty Report 30 Oct 2010 12:52

Thanks Gwyn, my thoughts exactly.

I have done some research into the HLI and I am pretty sure it is the same man. The 4th Bn was a training battalion, and never left the country whereas the 6th was in Egypt. He probably had a different service no for each battalion.