Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FRANCIS A WILSON

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 19 Feb 2011 20:38

A Joan Pennington married Francis A Wilson in 1973 in the Ince registration district of Lancashire. A Joan Wilson born 13/2/1925 died Dec quarter 2003 in Northumberland Central registration district. The Joan Pennington that I am interested in was born on 13/2/1925. I know that the only way I can prove whether or not I have the correct Joan is to buy a marriage certificate which might show her father's name. Like many people who are doing family history, this can prove very expensive. Is there any other way round this difficulty please ? Janet

patchem

patchem Report 19 Feb 2011 21:28

Have you looked for her in people's trees on here, to see if anyone else has the proof needed?

EVEIE

EVEIE Report 19 Feb 2011 21:35

deleted info

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Feb 2011 21:42

think you should be a bit careful printing data on people who are very likely to be still living - those born in 1935 and and 1936 especially and the 1973 information too!!!

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 19 Feb 2011 21:57

In answer to your question as to whether there might be a cheaper way to confirm the person who married stated as their father without actually purchasing the persons marriage certificate, the answer is probably no.

If you don't mind me saying so assuming that the person who died might be the person who married based upon a maiden name and a birth date is very tenuous.

In this particular situation I think (but don't know) that there may not actually be a connection. The basis of my thoughts being that the lady born in 1925 would have been 48 years old when she married and therefore perhaps unable to have any more children. The marriage was registered in the Ince registration district in 1973. The Ince registration district was abolished on 1/4/1974 and was replaced by the Wigan Registration district. In the Oct~Dec Qtr of 1974 there was the birth of a Wilson/Pennington Child in the Wigan Registration district. There were further such births registered in the same district in 1976 and 1986. Whilst this may have been pure coincidence if these were the children of the couple who married in 1973 then the bride in that marriage could not have been the lady who was born in 1925.

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 19 Feb 2011 22:04

too many threads about the same person / thing

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards.page/board/trying_to_find/pennington/thread/1257173

and yes xxxx you should delete those posts as they contain information about probably living people and Janet probably has it already anyway

Flick

Flick Report 19 Feb 2011 22:58

The obvious solution would be to buy the death cert......................if the deceased was a married woman, her maiden name should be recorded.

Flick

Flick Report 19 Feb 2011 23:02

From the OTHER thread

Trying to find Joan Pennington born 13/2/1925, Madras, India. She trained in the R.A.F. during the war as a motor mechanic but I'm not sure where in England. Hoping to find out whether she married or not and to whom. I know all her birth details and family but am trying to move on from 1940's. She may have been based in Staffordshire.

Added later.................
I found a Joan Wilson ( maiden name Pennington ) born on that date and marrying in Lancashire in 1973. Thanks for reading this. Janet

patchem

patchem Report 19 Feb 2011 23:04

But Janet does not want to spend any money if she can avoid it.........

Flick

Flick Report 19 Feb 2011 23:07

Well, I'm sorry, but there's no other solution as far as I can see.

If the quest is important, the outlay of £9.25 shouldn't be too much of a stumbling block

Flick

Flick Report 19 Feb 2011 23:08

This woman may have returned to the country of her birth.......................

Flick

Flick Report 19 Feb 2011 23:10

?????

Name: Joan Harkison
Birth Date: 13 Feb 1925
Death Registration Month/Year: May 2002
Age at death (estimated): 77
Registration district: South Cheshire
Inferred County: Cheshire
Register number: B8B
District and Subdistrict: 3411B
Entry Number: 58

Name: Joan Walsh
Birth Date: 13 Feb 1925
Death Registration Month/Year: Mar 2005
Age at death (estimated): 80
Registration district: Burnley and Pendle
Inferred County: Lancashire
Register number: C17D
District and Subdistrict: 582/1C
Entry Number: 241

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 19 Feb 2011 23:10

Janet had taken my advice in the other thread

if you know her exact date of birth you can try searching deaths at Ancestry for Joan born on that exact date, since deaths after 1969 show the date of birth in the index
................. then you would have to see whether there was a marriage for a Joan Pennington to any of the surnames in the results ............
chrissie x

and found that marriage ... and should have pursued it in that thread ... where far less personal info was disclosed (and did not need to be in this thread)

the info on birth and death do match ... the surname could have been adopted unofficially, or the death could be the spouse in the marriage in question, or could be one of the many Joan Wilsons born in Q1 1925 if unmarried ...

edit -- and yes Flick another death could match if a surname had been adopted unofficially ...

_only_ certificates will give the info needed

patchem

patchem Report 19 Feb 2011 23:34

Chrissiex,
Did you read Jonesey's comment, that explained clearly why he thought they could be different people?
I hate duplicate threads, but when a well-thought out explanation arises from a fresh perspective I think I have gained knowledge.

And Jackie Chan appears to be driving a hovercraft through a golf course, so in the universal scheme of things, does it matter?

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 20 Feb 2011 00:08

patchem, I was quite familiar with this entire situation already before reading this thread, I was explaining how this possibility had been identified

I certainly have never suggested that matching birthdate + possible marriage = proven identity
I suggest that process as a way of identifying _possibilities_ as I think others here do

yes I read Jonesey's post, I do not comment in threads without reading the whole thread

how about you, did you read the other thread I linked to ?

I was not the person who suggested that the deceased Joan was the same person; the poster was the one who said that

I really don't know what you are on about, I'm sorry

I added _another_reason_ why the deceased Joan might not be Janet's Joan ...
... could be one of the many Joan Wilsons born in Q1 1925 if unmarried ...

I have also urged Joan to get certificates

the 'well-thought out explanation' could have been offered perfectly well in the existing thread had a further post been added to it

I had not pursued it further in the other thread as i assumed Janet would get the death certificate and/or marriage certificate !

allow me to do so now ....... the couple in question are on the 2010 electoral roll with at least one of the children born after the marriage, to whom Jonesey referred

so that is evidently _not_ the marriage of the Joan P in question

I'm seeing criticism for the the sake of it and not seeing a point

I have no idea what your jackie chan anecdote is intended to be other than perhaps dismissive and somewhat disrespectful

Janet

Janet Report 2 Apr 2011 20:09

Thankyou very much to all those who have helped me. I think you now need to concentrate on helping other people. I have found Joan's father's death and will go from there. Janet

Janet

Janet Report 10 Apr 2011 22:24

What I can't understand is, how come people are allowed to name and give dates of birth etc for people in the 'success stories' section but not on this 'my threads' ? Surely once someone has found a descendant that becomes a success story ? Janet

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 10 Apr 2011 22:51

I guess you should ask the management that question.

One might presume that the people in question on the Success Stories board have consented.

Since it isn't possible to reply to posts on Success Stories, no one can raise the question there. If you or anyone else thinks personal info is improperly posted there, well, there's always the "Report as Abuse" link, which can be used to report violations of the site rules.

(You'll remember me from an even earlier Pennington search thread, which now seems to be deleted, and how I sent you information about births and marriages of probably living people privately.)

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 10 Apr 2011 22:58

btw, if you're referring to a post on Success Stories dated 30 March, that individual was in fact repeatedly asked by numerous other users to stop posting the personal details of the people in question in multiple threads all over this site ... whether she has the consent of the people in question for that post now is indeed an open question.