Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sydney Wilson 1913 - 1924 Australia, NSW

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stuart

Stuart Report 18 Mar 2011 05:21

Hi, i hope someone may be able to help me. I am trying to find / locate what happened to a family member who moved to Australlia in 1913 from the UK. His name was Sydney Wilson, i think i may have poss found his death certificate in 1924 in Inverell district but not sure. If anyone would be kind enough to see if they could help that would be great as my skills on here a very basic, lets just say i won't be giving up my day job. haha. His details are

Sydney Wilson Born December 1883 in Faversham, Engalnd & departed england Jan 1913 for Brisbane, Australia Potential death 1924 Inverell, NSW District.

Father James ' George ' Wilson
Mother Charlotte Wilson

Any information would be great, i have questions like. Death Date? Married ? kids ? working ? if there was any family still alive this would be great as i am currently touring the east coast of Oz right now. I know this is a lot to ask and will probably result in a dead end.

Many Thanks for any future help and fingers crossed we find something.

Stuart WIlson

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 18 Mar 2011 06:44

Hi Stuart

Did Sydney have a middle name?

There are a few possible marriages in Qld but this one is the only one without a middle name:

1928/B4027 Wolter, Paulenia Rosina Violet [married] Wilson, Sydney

This may be the death of that Sydney (which means the immigration may also be his?)

1948/C4595 Sydney Wilson [father] Hugh [mother] Annie Crilly

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 18 Mar 2011 06:52

Ah here is the death notice in the SMH newspaper - does not look like the right one.

Saturday 1 November 1924
WILSON-October 23, 1924, at Inverell, Sydney Thomas Wilson, eldest son of the late James Grierson Wilson, aged 66 years. Interred at Inverell.

Stuart

Stuart Report 18 Mar 2011 06:56

Hi Cherilyn,

I didn't think he had any on his English records, but the death record here in Oz say it's ' T ' and the mother & father name on the death record match so i'm 99% sure it was him.

The death registration Ref is 19219/1924, like i say i am now sure this was him, would lthis aid anything that you can search?

Thank you so much for looking at this for me, like i say this is not what im best at haha

stu

Astra

Astra Report 18 Mar 2011 07:39

Is this the one you think is him travelling out in 1913

passenger transcript details
Name: Sydney WILSON
Date of departure: 21 January 1913
Port of departure: London
Passenger destination port: Rockhampton, Australia
Passenger destination: Rockhampton, Australia

Date of Birth: 1884 (calculated from age)
Marital status:
Sex: Male
Passenger recorded on: Page 1 of 12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Astra

Astra Report 18 Mar 2011 07:41

With his parents in 1891. This is the only census he appears on with his family.

Sydney Wilson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884
Relation: Son
Father's Name: George Wilson
Mother's Name: Charlotte Wilson
Where born: Faversham, Kent, England
Civil parish: Strood
Ecclesiastical parish: St Nicholas
Town: Strood
County/Island: Kent
Household Members: Name Age
George Wilson 38
Charlotte Wilson 39
George Wilson 17
Percy Wilson 12
Ada Wilson 11
James Wilson 9
Sydney Wilson 7
Berty Wilson 5
Merley Wilson 2
Martha Wilson 1

Astra

Astra Report 18 Mar 2011 07:47

By 1901 the family are in Lewisham and Sydney has disappeared. Can't locate him anywhere. Maybe someone else can. In 1911 George and Charlotte say they have had 13 children 3 of which have died.

Martha Wilson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Geo Wilson
Mother's Name: Chalotte Wilson
Where born: Swanscombe, Kent, England
Civil parish: Lewisham
Ecclesiastical parish: St Swithin
County/Island: London
Household Members: Name Age
Geo Wilson 48
Chalotte Wilson 48
Geo Wilson 28
Jas Wilson 19
Berty Wilson 15
Minny Wilson 13
Martha Wilson 11
Arthur Wilson 4
Walter Wilson 8
Eliza Wilson 19
Mary Wilson 4 Months
Lucy Wilson 1

And there is this death which I would check out

Deaths Mar 1901 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wilson Sydney 17 Lewisham 1d 730

Stuart

Stuart Report 18 Mar 2011 07:50

Cherilyn - Yeah thats the one i thought it may have been, but that is def not him now i've seen more info, thank you for digging that out. Looks like back to the start again haha

Astra - Hi Astra, yeah thats him on the census and yes thats the ship i think may be him coming out to Oz. Any further links?

Thank you to you both for keeping searching,

stuart

Astra

Astra Report 18 Mar 2011 07:59

I would check out the English death certificate I have posted before you assume that the one going to Australia is him.
His birth was registered in December quarter 1883 so by December 1900 he would just have turned 17.

Gee

Gee Report 18 Mar 2011 08:09

Id be inclined to go with Astra.

That death for Sydney in 1924 has the wrong name for the father. On all the documentation for George, birth, marriage and census...he has no middle name

Also Sydney has no middle name

Gee

Gee Report 18 Mar 2011 08:13

And this has that very Sydney T here with father James G Wilson dated 1890!

Sydney and New South Wales, Sands Street Index, 1861-1930
about Sydney T Wilson
Name: Sydney T Wilson Occ; Broker
Year: 1890
Street Name: Point Piper Road
City: Paddington
Page: 340

And heres the birth/death

Australia Birth Index, 1788-1922
about Sydney T Wilson
Name: Sydney T Wilson
Birth Date: 1858
Father's Name: James G Wilson
Mother's Name: Charlotte
Birth Place: New South Wales
Registration Year: 1858
Registration Place: Sydney, New South Wales
Registration Number: 2132

Australia Death Index, 1787-1985
about Sydney T Wilson
Name: Sydney T Wilson
Death Date: 1924
Death Place: New South Wales
Father's Name: James G
Mother's Name: Charlotte
Registration Year: 1924
Registration Place: Inverell, New South Wales
Registration Number: 19219

Sorry to pee on your parade but at least we know who he wasnt!

Stuart

Stuart Report 18 Mar 2011 09:15

Hi Astra & Ginny, i think we can def say we can say Sydney T is not a link. As for the link to the death cert you posted Astra, it may be him but i am pretty sure Sydney is on the 1911 census along with Walter and james in Adisham, Kent. I may be wrong because thats from memory and all my paper research is back in the UK.

I appreciate all your help here guys and what i think is now best is i will recover my old ground when back in the UK in september. To ensure that it is Sydney on the 1911 census.

Once again thank you so much for the quick responses and if you have any ideas please let me know.

Stu

Astra

Astra Report 18 Mar 2011 11:06

This one??

James, Arthur and Walter are there but Sydney born 1902 is the son of James who he probably named after his brother.

WILSON, James Head Married
10 years M 29 1882 Bricklayer Ramsgate Kent VIEW
WILSON, Eliza Wife Married F 28 1883 Hammersmith VIEW
>>>WILSON, Sidney Son M 9 1902 Catford Kent VIEW
WILSON, James Son M 5 1906 Hither Green Kent VIEW
WILSON, George Son M 2 1909 Adisham Kent VIEW
WILSON, Walter Brother Single M 18 1893 Labour Bricklayers Strood Kent VIEW
WILSON, Arther Brother Single M 15 1896 Hut Assistant Plaistow Essex VIEW

Address:
Meadow Cottages Adisham Dover County:
Kent

Stuart

Stuart Report 19 Mar 2011 01:51

Whops i cleary have made amistake, so sorry about that. I must be Ather who come to Australia as from what my Grandad remembers it was the two who lived in Adisham are the two who left the UK, this still is not 100% as G'Dad very old and memory not what it was.

I know Walter went to Canada for a fact as have found his details and ww1 service recrd for the Canadian army, Astra i appreciate your continued support tracking them. I'l have a look for Arther now for little bit.

Many Thanks

Stuart

Stuart

Stuart Report 19 Mar 2011 01:52

and just to confirm this is the correct record you have located Astra

Astra

Astra Report 19 Mar 2011 06:36

Morning Stuart.
Too many Arthur Wilsons to know which is him travelling out I'm afraid and i can't locate a death for him in Australia. Maybe we will just have to wait for the 1921 census to answer this one!
Enjoy the rest of your trip and if you remember anything else that may help just post a message here.
Astra
x

Stuart

Stuart Report 26 Mar 2011 11:28

Astra

Sorry for late reply, have not had internet access for few days since last post, i just wanna say big thank you for all your help and if i get any new info then i will certainly send you a message. Have great weekens

Stuart