Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 2 Nov 2007 09:57

Trying to trace a John Wilson, my great great grandad. The only details I have are that he was born c1825 and was a merchant seaman. He was probably born in Hull and on his sons wding certificate (1867) he was down as deceased. I am desparate to trace parents and siblings and wife as that part of my tree(my mothers side) is stagnant.
Anyone out there who can help?

Sheila

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 2 Nov 2007 10:21

Hi Sheila

Do you have the son on census details at all?
If not if you give us some details on John's son yr & place of birth etc & maybe we can track down his mother ( John's wife ) and go from there....

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 2 Nov 2007 10:25

Hi Sheila

As Debi says we will need the son's name and place of birth, where did his son marry? and to whom?

Sheila

Sheila Report 3 Nov 2007 09:01

Hi,
Thanks for replying.John's son was called Thomas and I have 2 birth dates for him. On his marriage certificate (to Ellen Ringrose) he put his date of birth as 1845. They married 21/6/1867.
In the 1881 census he was born in 1847 and lived at 6 Windsor Terrace. In 1871 + 1891 census' he was born in 1845 and lived at 6 Windsor terrace /7 Windsor(1871).
I really am struggling on this one as a) I am a novice and b) there must be trillions of Wilsons!

Thanks for helping

Anthony

Anthony Report 11 Nov 2007 23:20

Hi Sheila
Have you tried the Southampton Archives who hold records on all merchant seaman, this is there how to contact and there address
Merchant Seamen enquiries

To search the Central Index Register of Merchant Seamen we charge £10 which entitles you to a search for up to 3 people with the same family surname and copies of anything we find.
Southampton City Council, Civic Centre, Southampton, SO14 7LY -

Though some records went astray on transfer from Cardiff when originally transfered, I have found them very helpful, they will give you a few choices of persons if exact date unknown.

Sheila

Sheila Report 12 Nov 2007 09:16

Hi Anthony,
Are the Southampton Archives the central office? As my details are sketchy in that I think he was from Hull born c1825 I don't want to pay for another search if his records are elsewhere.
When you say 'we' charge £10 is that genesreunited?
If that is the case who does the searching?
Or do I just write to them?

Sorry if I sound a bit vague but all this is new to me and although I started with only the minimum of details I am quite proud to see my tree growing, even if one branch seems to be withering.

I look forward to answers so that I can proceed

Thanks

Sheila

Heather

Heather Report 12 Nov 2007 11:00

Sheila, all the helpers on here are members like yourself. Genes Reunited does not give any assistance - just the other members. Anthony has copied the info for you and the "we" is the archivists at Southampton.

If you use the address that Anthony kindly gave you you could email them or always contact them by phone and ask further information.

Sheila

Sheila Report 12 Nov 2007 12:21

Hi,
Thanks for clarifying that, sorry if I seem a little thick. I shall certainly ring them and hopefully one day I shall be a bit more help to others.

Sheila

Sheila

Sheila Report 15 Nov 2007 10:52

Hi,
Think my John Wilson was in fact born a little earlier thai the date I was given c1816. I believe he married a Mary Lambert but still having difficulty with what happened to John. I believe he had a sister also called Mary A. They also had another child apart from Thomas called Ann E c1847.
Does this help at all?
Thanks

Heather

Heather Report 15 Nov 2007 14:51

Do you have the sons birth certificate? Where was he born? Where do you get the name Mary Lambert from? Where is the Windsor Terrace you mention? Hull?

This Thomas has a Mother called Mary who is a widow. And a sister Ann E. But how did you get that possible name for mum? No Mary Ann on this census - how do you know about her? If John is deceased, the date can be narrowed by the age of the children. You could check freebmd for John Wilson deaths.

1851:

Name: Thomas Wilson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845
Relation: Son
Mother's Name: Mary
Where born: Hull, Yorkshire, England

Civil Parish: St Paul
County/Island: Yorkshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View Image

Registration district: Sculcoates
Sub-registration district: East Sculcoates
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 101
Household Members: Name Age
Ann E Wilson 4
Mary Wilson 30
Thomas Wilson 6

Sheila

Sheila Report 16 Nov 2007 09:08

Hi,
No I didn't have the sons birth certificate as at the time all I had was his da's name and incorrect date of birth. I presume he was born in Hull as most my grandads were. Windsor Terrace came from census' I looked at for the family of Thomas and his wife Ellen Ringrose. I guessed Mary was a widow because by the time of the 1851 census she was the head of household, also John Wilson was deceased when Thomas married in 1867.
From info I have since obtained 1841 census John Wilson was living with his father John and a Mary A which I assumed was John's sister.
Now I know the correct date of birth of John (Iwas given 1825) it does narrow the search a little.

Thanks for the info

Sheila