Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death of Stephen Richardson Wood

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lainie39

lainie39 Report 29 Nov 2009 19:20

I am losing the will to live!!!!!!!!!!!!

The last bit of information I have on Stephen Richardson Wood is in 1882 when his partnership in a picture framing business/timber merchant was dissolved. I cannot find him in the 1891 census or the 1901 [or the 1911 for the Nottingham area!]

He was born in 1839 in Geddington/Kettering in Northants. His father was Isaiah and his mother was Rachel. He married Harriett Rouse in 1862? in Nottingham. He appears in the 1881 census for Nottingham - but other than above, he disappears!!!!!!!!

He must have died at some time [we all do!] but I have searched for him on familysearch, freeBMD, freeCEN, freeREG, ancestry and the geneologogist - but can find no record of him.

Does anyone have any other ideas? [before I plow through 40 years worth of death registers!] He must have died or otherwise at some time!

Many thanks for your interest!

Elaine

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 29 Nov 2009 19:29

Perhaps he emigrated.

Unfortunately the Find my Past passenger lists only start at 1890

lainie39

lainie39 Report 29 Nov 2009 19:47

Hi Linda,

I have looked this up on ancestry - and can find nothing!!!

Having said that - I think that ancestry records only go upto about a hundred years before he 'disappeared'?

Thanks for your reply!

Elaine

lainie39

lainie39 Report 29 Nov 2009 20:33

Hi Astra,

Not 100% sure, but I think his brother [Alfred Burton Wood] named 2 sons by this name! His brother lived in Ilkeston [now Derbys] when he had his family.

Elaine

lainie39

lainie39 Report 29 Nov 2009 20:36

The other Stephen Richardson Wood was born in 1879 - and he lived.

Elaine

lainie39

lainie39 Report 8 Dec 2009 20:58

Hi,

Can anyone help me with this?

I have found what I think may be a death record for Stephen’s wife [I am trying to cover all scenarios as to why he may have 'disappeared'] on FreeBMD. My question is ‘how do I put this to use at the archives?’

I have just spent 2 ½ hours after work [archives late night] looking for Harriet Wood’s on the 3 main cemetery records kept at the archives in Nottingham. Am I approaching this the correct way? The GRO records do not provide information on where they died or were buried - so should I have been spending my time in a more productive way? Of course, this death may not be her at all - and if it is, all the information I have is that she died in Nottingham, age 51, Sep.1888.

Forgive me for sounding naive, but is there an easier way that I am missing? [or is this where the hard work comes in?] I see many others who are regular visitors - is this the sort of situation that they are also in?

Many thanks.

Elaine

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 8 Dec 2009 21:11

Stephen Richardson
Estimated birth year: abt 1838
Year of Registration: 1908
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at Death: 70
District: Middlesbrough (1875-1968)
County: Yorkshire - North Riding
Volume: 9d
Page: 401 (click to see others on page)

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 8 Dec 2009 21:16

1881 FOR REFERENCE
Stephen K. Wood
Estimated birth year: abt 1837
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Harriet
Where born: Geddington, Nottinghamshire, England

Civil parish: Nottingham St Mary
County/Island: Nottinghamshire

Street Address: 102 Caroline St
Condition as to marriage: Married
Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Nottingham
Sub-registration district: St Ann
ED, institution, or vessel: 15
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Stephen K. Wood 44
Harriet Wood 42

View
Original
Record

View original image
View blank form

Save This Record
Attach this record to a person in your tree as a source record, or save for later evaluation.
Save

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 3355; Folio: 65; Page: 9; GSU roll: 1341801.

lainie39

lainie39 Report 8 Dec 2009 21:22

Hi ellieathome,

The information that you have found on the 1881 census is the correct Stephen. Where did you get the information that you first posted?

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 8 Dec 2009 21:23

Richard Stephen Wood
Estimated birth year: abt 1837
Year of Registration: 1890
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at Death: 53
District: Canterbury
County: Kent
Volume: 2a
Page: 546 (click to see others on page)

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 8 Dec 2009 21:25

Ancestry GRO BMD

Just feeling the waters

Not found after 1881 Census or his wife?

lainie39

lainie39 Report 8 Dec 2009 21:30

No - I can find nothing in the census' after 1881. However, I did manage to find a record of him coming out of a partnership in 1882 - but that is the last I can find out about him!

He was born in Geddington [near Kettering in Northamptonshire] in 1839. But he has been recorded as Geddington Nottinghamshire. His wife was Harriet Rouse born 1841.

lainie39

lainie39 Report 8 Dec 2009 21:36

Yes, Karen, that is the death I have been trying to find this evening!

lainie39

lainie39 Report 8 Dec 2009 21:40

I suppose [though anyone's help that are willing is more than welcome!] what I am trying to find out, is how do I track down this death at the archives? How do you put the information you find regarding GRO references to use at the archives?

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 8 Dec 2009 21:47

Well he's either not wanting to be found after business went bust ,or as was said emigrated.i would have thought someone from the family would either emigrated along with him,or went later

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 8 Dec 2009 21:51

You have to buy the certificates to find out .Would not advise you to when things are not clear

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 8 Dec 2009 21:53

You could order what you think is Harriet's and state husbands name as a safety guard.Still cost you £4 if wrong

lainie39

lainie39 Report 9 Dec 2009 13:42

Hi Karen and ellieathome,

Thanks for your replies.

I didnt manage to find the correct Harriet last night - so I am still puzzled!! She may not have died!? Looking for both their deaths is just a long shot.

The business didnt go bust - it carried on after Stephen had left as a partner until about 1960!

I have looked on ancestry regarding emigration - but the records only go up to a certain date, so have had no luck!

However, I am still uncertain as to how you can apply the info from GRO to the archives. Is the answer - the only thing the records are useful for is guessing and ordering certs that may not be the relative searched for?

Many thanks

Elaine

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 9 Dec 2009 14:01

Elaine

Did you find Harriet (the one that you have found on Freebmd) on the cemetery records that you looked at? I think that you may well be going down the right line. If you find that Harriet on the cemetery records (which are usually easier searched if you have an approximate date of death), then you could contact the local authority (or whoever holds the full cemetery records) and find out if more details of the lair are available. Often this is the way to find out who is interred in a particular lair. If that is your Harriet, it is possible that her husband is also interred there. The date of internment would give you an approximate death date. Some local authorities charge a small fee for this service.

lainie39

lainie39 Report 9 Dec 2009 17:00

Hi rootgatherer,

No I didnt find her - though I still have a few fiches to get through!!

The 3 Harriet Wood's I did find - I checked on the interment details - but they werent her!