Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Was my grandfather married before?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anthony

Anthony Report 20 Nov 2007 17:17

I have finally managed to trace the details of my grandfather, Thomas Wright. He was born on September 18th 1890 in Stratford West Ham to John Wright, a bricklayer and Elizabeth (nee Woodfield). He was one of twins and his twin brother was George.

He served in the first world war and was wounded in action just outside of Bagdad, and at some point moved from London to York after the war. Its not clear when he moved, but he married in 1930 to Jessie Dawson, my late grandmother.

My instincts tell me that as he was 40 when he married, there is a chance he was married before. If this is the case, then it is feasible that he may have had other children. As my fathers siblings are all now dead and my father is 78, I would dearly love to pursue this with the aim of finding any remaining children he may have had who may possible still be alive - they would be my fathers half brothers and sisters!

I know its a long shot, but if anyone recognises the names or could help with this, please get in touch.

Kind Regards

Tony Wright

Heather

Heather Report 20 Nov 2007 17:20

Do you have your grans marriage cert? It will give his status - so if it says widower ..............

Have you looked on ancestry for WW1 pension records for him?

Anthony

Anthony Report 20 Nov 2007 17:34

Hi

I have sent away for his marriage certificate so that should give me a better idea. I have chacked his war record and spoken to a historian for the 2nd Leicestershire Regiment so have some war detail, but he didnt receive a war pension.

Is there an easy way of tracing families forwards? It is difficult in my opinion because you dont have a name for who they marry.

My Grandfather had lots of brothers and sistersm who all stayed in the West Ham are I think. If I could track them forwards I should at least find surviving cousins of my father. Because his father left London before he was born he has no knowledge of any cousins, aunties or uncles. I think its a great shame, and I would love to put him in touch with them before he gets too old..

thanks for the reply

Tony

Heather

Heather Report 21 Nov 2007 23:18

Anthony it would be a difficult job though not impossible. Im trying to think of the sort of time we are talking about? Dad is 78 so 1930ish born. There would be a good chance he has live cousins.

Have you found your grandfathers siblings on the census? Its unfortunate that its a common name but if you are prepared to spend the time and money on it you may come up trumps. Take it you have checked all the trees on here?

Youd have to find all his siblings and trace them forward through every quarter of the bmd index to a marriage and then trace births - births after late 1911 give the mothers maiden name on the index so if you find the marriages you could in theory trace any children likely to have been born to them. It would be a long and difficult old job though.

Have you thought of putting a letter in a newspaper local to the area the family seemed to have stayed in for such a long time?

Anthony

Anthony Report 22 Nov 2007 16:20

Hi Heather,

I have the names of my Grandfathers siblings on my tree, so I can make it available to any interested parties.

The local newspaper idea is a good one - it appears that my grandfather was the first to move out of the Stratford West Ham area for generations.

I guess its a case of just looking for any Wrights from that area that may have married around the 1910ish time..... I see what you mean about being costly - I don't have copies of birth certificates for his siblings so it would be difficult to match up if not impossible.

Any other thoughts on this would be gratefully received!!!

Tony

Anthony

Anthony Report 24 Nov 2007 12:23

Have just received my grandfathers marriage certificate and he wasnt married before - he was married for the first time aged 40 on 24th December 1930.

Still looking for help in tracing living relatives though!