Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish deaths before 1851

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jack

Jack Report 23 Dec 2008 22:43

Hi ,
Does anyone know how to look up deaths in Scotland before 1851.. Fifeshire I think. Steele is the name

Jack

Susan

Susan Report 23 Dec 2008 23:31

I would say look at Scotlandspeople however they do not look to have deaths before 1855. Sorry

mgnv

mgnv Report 25 Dec 2008 02:32

From http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/FIF/index.htm
Fife Family History Society have produced the Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD which contains the details of over 250,000 deaths in Fife extracted from burial registers, kirk session records, monumental inscriptions, newspapers, wills and testamants, etc.

http://www.fifefhs.org/

Foggy

Foggy Report 25 Dec 2008 22:27

Hi Jack,
I have the Pre 1855 Fife Death index, there are quite a few Steel's on there, so if you have any more info, I.E. christian name or area i will search for you

Dave

Jack

Jack Report 26 Dec 2008 17:42

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the offer to look up deaths in fife pre 1855.

The names are John Steele born approx 1818 and his wife Isabella Steele nee Douglas..

thanks again,

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 26 Dec 2008 17:45

You could try searching for wills on scotlandspeople as they go back further.

Suzanne

Jack

Jack Report 26 Dec 2008 18:23

Hi Suzanne,

Thank you for the suggestion but I dont think that my forbears had anything to will to anyone. But who knows. He was a hand loom weaver and then a weaver in a factory as far as I can find.

Cheers, and seasons greetings,

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

Foggy

Foggy Report 26 Dec 2008 19:57

Hi Jack,

I have searched the Fife death index pre 1855 and there were 6 entries
for a John Steele as follows:
John Steele Ferry Port 1851 aged 52
: : Culross 1840 : 8
: : Kilconquhar 1841 -
: : St. Andrews 1839 _ Foreman
: : St Andrews 1829 45

I think this one might be your man if he did in fact die before 1855.

John Steele Dunfirmline aged 20 died 1838 he was a seaman who drowned.
it states "Mary of Elie" which could have been the name of the ship he was on and it was listed in the Fife Herald on December 13th. 1838.
Hope this is some help
I could find nothing about his wife.

Dave

Jack

Jack Report 27 Dec 2008 00:41

Hi Dave.

Thank you for the look see at the deaths for John Steele and Isabella Douglas.. I am afraid that the person that died in 1838 is not the right fellow. They has two boys born in 1842 and 1845. Good trick if you can do it. :>)

Again Thank you.

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

Foggy

Foggy Report 27 Dec 2008 10:15

Hi Jack,
you are welcome, I expect his death was after 1855.
Have you looked on familyhistory.org site.?

Dave

Jack

Jack Report 27 Dec 2008 15:55

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your interest in reguards to John Steele. I have looked after 1855 but I would guess that he died eatrlier due to the fact that his two sons were in care of another person abd supported by the parish in the 1851 census. But other things could happen to a family breakup other then death of the parents. I guess this is one of those brick walls that are too high to be overcome. :>)

Cheers, and thankyou again.

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada.

Foggy

Foggy Report 27 Dec 2008 17:01

Hi again Jack,
I have found a John Steele died 2-1-1863 at Kinghorn in Fife.
Mother was Mary McRae
Father was John Steel
any connection

Dave

Jack

Jack Report 27 Dec 2008 18:17

Hi Dave.

I dont know that I can connect my John to the one dying in Kinghorn, even though Kinghorn is not far from Inverkiething.

One scene that may have occurred was that the mother Isabella died in childbirth or shortly afterward and the husband John had to give them up thus they were in care.

Re the Kinghorn death did it mention his age, or if he was married or single?

Cheers,

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

Foggy

Foggy Report 27 Dec 2008 18:49

Hi Jack,
No it did not mention his wife.
If you go on www.familysearch.org you can look up on the IGI and check the deaths for yourself.
I had a look on scotlandspeople, but nothing.

Dave

Jack

Jack Report 27 Dec 2008 23:05

Hi Dave,

I have been to the IGI site, and saw the John Steele that you meant. But it is most likely not the one in which I have an interest. beause of the sons names I would think that John Steeles fathers name would most likely be James. But who knows. I have some additional information on the sons I THINK, As John Steele's (jr b 1845 ) place of birth on the later census reports are that he was born in Inverkiething, but I have some info that says that he might have been born in Leslie, Fife, which was a weaving centre at that time. Again how do you prove this, ?

I think that I must let go of this line and move onto other investigations. I have been trying to take all the lines to 1800 and then leave off. so I am just finishing off the odd thing here and there. I will most likely move to my mothers line which was split and makes for some interesting areas. (born in Stirling, lived in Doune for a year and then given to a great aunt who moved to Nottingham, then they moved to Canada in 1924. That is where she met my father and as they say the rest is history..

Thank you for you interest Dave and others as well. I do appreciate your efforts. Certainly a friendly community.

Cheers, to all and Happy New Year. or Hogmanay.

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada