Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

uploading tree from gr to Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 14 Mar 2009 11:41

Can anyone help please? Have downloaded my gr tree onto my computer then tried to put it into Ancestry. Followed instructions on Ancestry but it hasn't worked. Sent message to Ancestry[Thurs] but no answer yet.

Diddydoris

Diddydoris Report 14 Mar 2009 12:41

Usually pretty straight forward. Did it download onto your computer as a gedcom file?

Elaine

Elaine Report 14 Mar 2009 12:53

yes it did, as a FTW gedcom file. I then managed to download it into Family Tree Maker on my computer no problem. I wondered if the problem might be the fact that I have photos on the gr tree?
THANKS

Diddydoris

Diddydoris Report 14 Mar 2009 13:04

Could be the photos. Have you tried just putting the gedcom file onto your desktop and uploading without putting it into another program first.

Elaine

Elaine Report 14 Mar 2009 13:08

Yes, that's what I did first. Maybe what I should is delete my photos on gr then export the file again.
Thanks for the advice.
best wishes
Elaine

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Mar 2009 14:38

You can not load an FTW file directly to Ancestry.

Either upload the gedcom that GR sent you, or create a new gedcom from your Framily Tree Maker program and upload that. Photos are not included in a gedcom.

Elaine

Elaine Report 14 Mar 2009 18:06

Hi Brinsleys
Have tried to export a file on my ftm program[2006] but when I go to file there is no export option. Must be doing something wrong. If photos are not included in a gedcom maybe I will delete my photos first on gr then download again like I said before.
thanks for the advice
Will keep you informed
Elaine

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 15 Mar 2009 11:15

You don't need to delete your photos - they are ignored when a gedcom file is created.

On FTM, Export File is the fifth option down under File. If it is greyed out then it sounds like you only have a trial version of the program, not the full one.

Pamela

Pamela Report 26 Mar 2009 15:59

I have my main tree on Ancestry.co.uk as I prefer this to work in. I have been dowloading a GEDCOM to my desktop and them importing into GR without many problems other than a bit of a delay sometimes in my tree being accessible.

I have now bought FTM 2006 and want to have this on my PC. I hoped to be able to carry on working on Ancestry.co.uk and downloading a GEDCOM as before to import into GR and also into FTM to update that.

Is this possible? I can only see EXPORT functions for GEDCOMs on FTM. Is there a simple way round this for the computer illiterate?

Christine

Christine Report 19 May 2017 12:35

This is a question rather than a reply.......my tree is mainly on Genes R, but Id like to transfer it to Ancestry as Gedcom. A couple of queries though please.....
1) Will i lose my tree on Genes?
2) As i have manually been creating my tree on Ancestry, will the Gedcom double up or overwrite the same entry?
I've been wanting to do this for years but been afraid I'd lose 10+ years of work!
Thank you.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 19 May 2017 12:44

Christine,

1) No
2) Unlike GR, on Ancestry you can have more than one tree. I suggest you import the .ged file as a new tree.

Some of the public trees on Ancestry look as if they are a combination of two (or more!) trees. With many duplicates. Not good.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 19 May 2017 12:48

I believe that the early LDS PAF5 program could consolidate files - or at least flag up duplicates. I have it on my pc, but I am not at home.

BrianW also has PAF5. If he reads this thread he may be able to agree/refute my statement.

BrianW

BrianW Report 19 Jun 2017 21:37

Apologies for the belated reply. Have been sorting out computer problems and also been away.
I am fairly sure PAF5 will consolidate files.
I have not deliberately used the facility but seem to recall that I did so accidentally some years ago when I was trying to import part of a file.