Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where does this name come from?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 9 Nov 2009 12:47

Can someone shed some light onto where in the world this name comes from, is it Spanish or italian?

AVERILLO

Thanks

Barbara

Barbara Report 9 Nov 2009 12:53

Looks like mostly used in Hampshire and Suffolk if you look at name distribution.

There is this without the 'O'

Averill Surname Origin
(Locality Origin) A corruption of Haverhill, the aspirate being dropped. Haverill is a town in Suffolk, England, so named from the Dutch Hyver, Teutonic, Haber, oats, and hill--the hill sown with oats.

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 9 Nov 2009 12:56

Thanks Barbara.

Kathlyn

Freewheel

Freewheel Report 9 Nov 2009 13:01

1871 census - Not really very helpful, I fear

Elizabeth Averillo abt 1801 High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England Relative (Other Relative) Hammersmith, London

Elizabeth Averillo George abt 1823 Stamford Hill, Middlesex, England Wife Clerkenwell, London

George Averillo Elizabeth abt 1824 Lincolnshire, England Head Clerkenwell, London

Thomas Averillo Matilda abt 1840 France Head Bermondsey, Surrey

Matilda Averillo Thomas abt 1841 France Wife Bermondsey, Surrey

John Averillo abt 1860 Croydon, Surrey, England Pupil Brighton, Sussex

I assume you have tried googling?

Freewheel

Freewheel Report 9 Nov 2009 13:03

Found by googling

Category:
Common Interest - FamiliesDescription:
The Averillo name is a unique one for all British Averillos can trace the family back to a common great great great grandfather.
Also, there are some Averillo families in Australia that can, also, link to that common ggggrandfather.Privacy type:
Open: All content is public.

Plus

My grandfather was Edward Averillo ("o" was dropped when he married ny grandmother). He had one brother, Ricardo (Richard). They were born in Spain and came to England as children. I do not know when they arrived in England. I believe he was born circa 1894 and died in Hove circa 1954.

Also

Check out the update to the origin of the name. I have come across the families of Pietro, Fillipo and Francesco Avarello in Argostino, Scicily. The earliest births are in the 1820s and the last around 1864. There are still Avarillos in Scicily.

My Note - obviously the place is Sicily - not as posted on facebook!