Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

EXPORTING

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 17 Dec 2009 01:15

Hi,
I exported my gedcom file to genes,the Surnames are where the middle name & the surname is showing up either death or birth certificate.
Anyone had this problem
Mary

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Dec 2009 07:02

It must be exported as a gedcom 5.5 with the character set ANSI, otherwise it may not load correctly.

Which program did you use to create the gedcom file?

Mary

Mary Report 17 Dec 2009 19:43

HI,
I have got Family Tree Maker 2010 Australian Zew Zealand version,
I exported it from Genes to my new tree,then exported it to Ancestry,I updated my tree & exported it back,the problem came from genes ,it took me ages to fix up all my names,I should be able export it back today.
Mary

Mardle

Mardle Report 2 Oct 2020 16:30

Hoping to get a gedcom of my tree which is too big to print off on a page of A4. The GR team are fab!! :-S

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Oct 2020 06:56

Mardle -
do you mean you want to know how to do it?

Instructions here:
https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=425&searchterm=gedcom

"How do I import or export a gedcom file?
If you want to load your gedcom file onto the site, click on the Family Tree button at the top of your homepage, then select Import Gedcom from the drop-down menu. This will take you to the import gedcom page where you can upload your file. You can only load one gedcom per registration. It may take a whilke to load, depending on the size of the file. We'll send you an email once it has loaded.

If you want to export a copy of your tree then click on Family Tree at the top of the page and then choose the export option. Your tree will be emailed to you as a gedcom file attachment. If you don't receive it within 24 hours it might be worth checking your spam folder in case it has been added there."

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Oct 2020 07:03

But a GEDCOM file needs to be imported into a tree somewhere, either on GR or elsewhere.

It's not readable like a printed tree would be.

Unfortunately it's not possible to print off a large tree from GR, all on one page.
It has to be done bit by bit, and then sellotaped together like a jigsaw, which can take many pages, depending on how big your tree is. Not at all satisfactory.

You'd be best to export your GEDCOM from GR to another genealogy programme which will allow you to print the tree in the form of a report. That wouldn't necessarily be on one page of A4, depending on the size of the tree, but at least it would print as one document in a readable form..

I use RootsMagic, of which there is a free version - but there are many others.

greyghost

greyghost Report 3 Oct 2020 14:39

If you want your tree printing, have a look here - often recommended by GR members

http://www.genealogyprinters.com/catalog/index.php