Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GEDCOM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gramps63

Gramps63 Report 7 May 2010 05:16

I have recently updated my latest family tree from my Pc family tree software program but find that an aunty is included on the same line as my uncle )her brother) and not with my uncle (her husband) - if that makes sense. Can anyone offer any suggestions. In the PC program everything appears fine. Thanks in anticipation. Bob

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 May 2010 08:10

Without a copy of your file it is difficult to know how to advise. When you say she is on the same line as her brother do you mean that they appear as partners, rather than siblings?

Gramps63

Gramps63 Report 8 May 2010 03:22

Hi Inspector GreenPen thanks for the reply and sorry it has taken me a while to reply. The situation I have is where a brother and sister from one family (eg Warby) married the brother and sister of another family (eg Curtis). I have included my mothers parents (Curtis) in my family tree but when I post as Gedcom on here it shows my aunty as partner of her brother - can I give you permission to view my tree as this might make things easier? Perhaps I should just remove my mothers and my uncles parents from the family tree on this site? Thanks again. Bob

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 May 2010 06:11

I understand now, I have a similar situation in our tree. My wife had two great aunts who married two brothers.

Unfortunately the GR tree does not support multiple relationships of this nature very well. In fact it isn't possible to enter such relationships manually. You get similar difficulties when cousins marry because of the double relationship this creates.

Tags within a gedcom file serve as pointers, which indicate a related individual, family or source within the same gedcom file. For example, a family record will contain pointers to the individual records for the husband, wife and children. I suspect that the GR import starts to get lost when faced with multiple relationship tags, for the same individual, hence the display looks odd.

I don't know of any fix you could make - as I said it is down to the limitation of the GR tree display. Personally I would leave things as they are, and just put a comment in the notes for the names that are affected so that anyone looking at your tree can see what is going on.

P.S. I have also noticed that a new gedcom upload sometimes displays differently to the previous one, where multiple relationships are concerned. Not sure why but could be to do with the order in which data appears on the file,

Gramps63

Gramps63 Report 8 May 2010 06:18

Thanks for the info again InspectorGreenPen. Bob