Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Working out relationships?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sonya

Sonya Report 7 May 2011 22:50

Please can anyone explain to me how you work out relationships, eg "first cousin twice removed"? I know my FTM does it automatically, but I'd like to understand the process. If you could direct me to a website that offers an explanation, that would be great, too.
Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Sonya

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 May 2011 23:02

There is a chart here which shows how it works:-

http://genealogy.about.com/library/nrelationshipchart.htm

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 May 2011 23:08

If there is a brother (child 1) and sister (child 2) who both have children then the children are first cousins.

If these children (child 3 and child 4) then have children of their own then these children are second cousins.

However if only one of the children (no. 3) has a child this child would be a first cousin once removed to child (no. 4).

Not sure if I have explained this well enough for you to understand. Basically if you are the same generation from a shared ancestor then you are first, or second or third etc. cousins. If you are one generation apart then you are first, or second etc. cousins once removed. Depending on how many generations apart you are determines how many times removed you are.

Kath. x

Sally

Sally Report 7 May 2011 23:23

have nudged chaet for you
sally w

Sonya

Sonya Report 7 May 2011 23:31

That's brilliant. Thank you so much Kath and Sally.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 May 2011 11:56

This is my method:-

Count the number of g's for each person, back to the common ancestor.

So, for example

Person 1 is a ggg grandson = 4 g's
Person 2 is a gg granddaughter = 3 g's

The lowest number determines the degree of cousin, in this case, 3rd cousins.

If the no of g's is the same, then that is the relationship.

If the no of g's is different, subtract one from the other i.e. 4-3=1 to get the level of remove

So, in the example above they are 3rd cousins, once removed.

Sonya

Sonya Report 8 May 2011 18:06

Thanks InspectorGreenPen.
At the moment I'm finding the chart very useful.
I'm feeling a bit bamboozled, but I'm sure it will come with practice!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 May 2011 18:46

There is, of course, a chart on this website too....!

Click on the Hot Matches tab then look on the right hand side, How are you related? and click the button, View chart.....!

Sally

Sally Report 3 Jan 2014 21:45

nudged to help

sally w <3

mgnv

mgnv Report 4 Jan 2014 03:30

IGP's method only works when IGP counts the generations. Most folk think their grandparents are 2 generations back so gg grandparents are 4 generations back by most folks counting.

Seems there are three sorts of people: those who can add, and those who can't.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 5 Jan 2014 06:15

There was no mention of counting the generations. Perhaps I should have made it clearer

The number of g's is the number of words beginning with the letter G, that is, Great and Grand

Grandparent = 1 g
Great Grandparent = 2 g's
Great Great Grandparent = 3 g's

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 Jan 2014 17:08

IGP - sorry then. I took g to be generation, rather than some spelling element as you intended.