Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The return Leg

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 14 May 2011 12:45

G-day all,

I'm trying to find the return leg of a family from Australia to England - it is thought sometime in the mid to late 1920's.

I have found the passenger list for them going to Australia but have searched ancestry but can't find them coming back. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Name: Herbert EAGLE
Date of departure: 3 December 1920
Port of departure: Liverpool
Destination port: Fremantle
Destination country: Australia
Date of Birth: 1889 (calculated from age) Age: 31
Marital Status: Married
Sex: Male

His wife's name was Gladys as was his Daugher who was about 1 when they went out to Aus and his son was also called Herbert and he was 2. Gladys his wife was about 27.

Hope someone can give me some direction or suggestions.

Thanks
Gypsyjoe

Andrew

Andrew Report 14 May 2011 13:06

There is a tick through the E on the original.

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
about Mr Herbert Bagle Name: Mr Herbert Bagle
Birth Date: abt 1889
Port of Departure: Newcastle, Australia
Arrival Date: 6 Jan 1926
Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
Ports of Voyage: Durban
[Cape Town]
[Melbourne]
[Sydney]
Ship Name: Sophocles
Search Ship Database: View the 'Sophocles' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping line: Aberdeen Line
Official Number: 144805

Andy

LesleyC

LesleyC Report 14 May 2011 13:11

just to add to Andrew's brilliant find............it states his address as 9 Boughton Road, Well Hall Estate, Eltham.

lesley

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 14 May 2011 13:12

Ooh Thanks Andy where did you find that one? Do you know if this gentleman had the rest of his family?

Gypsyjoe

LesleyC

LesleyC Report 14 May 2011 13:14

No he didn't Gypsy Joe x

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 14 May 2011 13:17

Thanks Lesley

I wonder then if it is the correct person because from what I've been told from the grandson they all came back together.

This is research I'm doing for someone else so I'm rather keen to clear it up for them.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 14 May 2011 19:07

There's this on Australian Electoral Rolls. Original shows her with Herbert Christopher Eagle, farmer, Peel Estate, Jandakot.

Australian Electoral Rolls, 1903-1954
about Gladys Maud Eagle Name: Gladys Maud Eagle
Electoral Year: 1925
State: Western Australia
District: Forrest
Subdistrict: Murray

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 14 May 2011 19:18

Herbert & Gladys' marriage?

Marriages Dec 1915 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curtis Gladys M Eagle Brentford 3a 574
Eagle Herbert C Curtis Brentford 3a 574

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 14 May 2011 19:22

The childrens' births?

Births Sep 1918 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eagle Herbert C L Curtis Ipswich 4a 1410

Births Sep 1919 (>99%)

Eagle Gladys M A C Curtis Hammersmith 1a 257

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 16 May 2011 09:41

Hi Margee

Thanks for that.

I did already have the children. Gladys the daughter is the mother of the gentleman I'm searching for.

The electoral roll is interesting where did you find that please?

Apparently the father was out there to lay pipes for water across Aus. Any idea where I might find this sort of thing out? I don't know anything about researching in Australia.

The marriage is the same one I came up with. Unfortunately this gentleman doesn't want to pay for certificates so I'll have to wait till I can get hold of parish records and see if I can find it.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 May 2011 17:18

The Australian electoral roll was from Worldwide Ancestry but I couldn't find anything else there and there was no further info on the original.

Like you, I don't know much about research in Australia. Canada is my area of expertise.

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 17 May 2011 09:40

Thanks again Margee.

Anything is a help in some cases.