Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Silver Jubilee of Priesthood – 10 October 1962

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 1 Aug 2011 18:07

Found some old newspaper cuttings that my late Dad had about his late brother. Perhaps some of you knew him.

The Rev. Father Reginald A. Slade, Parish Priest of the Immaculate Conception and St. Dominic in Stone, Staffordshire celebrated his silver jubilee in the Roman Catholic priesthood and his fifth year in Stone.

He was ordained at Oscott College Birmingham on October 10th 1937 and said his first Mass at St. Mary’s on the Quay, Bristol, his home parish church.

Father Slade’s first appointment was at St. Catherine’s, Horsfair, Birmingham, where he officiated until 1943. He then became army chaplain from 1943-1946 serving with the big training camp at Oswestry, going over to Normandy on D-Day with the Expedition Forces in June.
Subsequently he served with the 8th Army at Brigade HQ in Hanover Germany for 15 months.

Demobilised in 1946, Father Slade worked for a short time in the Parish of St Mary’s and St John’s, Snow Hill, Wolverhampton.

March 1947 Father Slade was appointed parish pries of St Joseph’s, Nechells, Birmingham, in the busy industrial area of the city, where he remained until coming to Stone in 1957 as parish priest of St. Dominic’s.

10 October 1962 – Father Slade said Mass with the children of St. Dominic;s RC School and he will be attending a concert there given on his honour..

Father Slade hopes to go down to Bristol later on to sing Mass at St Mary’s on the Quay in Bristol so that his mother and relatives may attend.

Yes we were all there….the first and last time the whole family were together under the same roof…. my Grandma, my aunts, uncles and cousins. I was 14 at the time!