Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can't find death record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trish

Trish Report 3 Aug 2011 11:48

One of the people on my tree was born in 1950. The family says he died as a young boy. I have checked all deaths across the country for 1950 and can't find a trace of him ever having died.

As I found a record of his birth, there should be a record of his death, even if he was still born, is this correct?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Trish :-0

Janet

Janet Report 3 Aug 2011 11:55

The freebmd is an ongoing site if this is where you have looked and the name may not have been entered as yet-jl

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Aug 2011 11:57

If he was stillborn there would not have been a birth record for him (stillbirths are recorded on a separate register and are not open to the public).

If he died soon after birth then have you tried looking in the quarter BEFORE his birth for the death record? I know this sounds daft but sometimes if a baby dies the death is registered before the birth. You have 6 weeks in which to register a birth but only 5 days to register a death. If a family is grieving then they may register a death (because they have to in order to have the funeral) but may forget about registering the birth until a later date.

If you want to give his name we could try looking for you (or send the details in a pm if you prefer not to give his name on this thread)

Kath. x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Aug 2011 14:07

I agree with Kath about the death being registered before the birth. The first time I came across that it really threw me for a loop until it was explained that the death had to be registered immediately but the parents in their grief neglected to register the birth until they had to.

Elaine

Elaine Report 3 Aug 2011 18:33

I have a similar problem - my grandmother's brother was born in 1912 and died in about 1916/18. The birth is registered but I can't find the death even though I know he died in Gateshead. Have checked from 1914 - 1922 - no death records

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Aug 2011 19:36

If you want to give the details Elaine I will have a look for you - although you should probably start your own thread.

Kath. x

Elaine

Elaine Report 4 Aug 2011 16:45

Thank you - I'm very puzzled by it. His name was Robert D Heslop- he was born in 1912. The family lived in Gateshead in Sidney Grove. He had some sort of spinal disability. When he was a child he was playing in the street and a passing man (who he was cheeky to) kicked him in the back and he died shortly afterwards. His birth is registered in Gateshead by his mother but I can't find a death record - I am presuming hemust have been at least 2 when he died as he was playing in the street and talking.

Kind regards

Elaine

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Aug 2011 17:01

Could it have been much later than you thought?

Deaths Mar 1924 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heslop Robert D 11 Gateshead 10a 1369

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elaine

Elaine Report 4 Aug 2011 17:27

Very possibly - I checked up to 1922 but 1924 would make him just 12. I'll check it out. Thank you so much.

Elaine

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Aug 2011 17:39

His age was actually 11 on the death record, probably died before his 12th birthday.

Trish

Trish Report 4 Aug 2011 20:29

have tried to search for Geoffrey's death in the time before his birth and no luck. His name was Geoffrey Roberts, born in 1950 in Bridgwater, Somerset. He died as a young boy, also in Bridgwater, Somerset. If there is anyone out there that could double check for me, that would be wonderful, just in case I am missing something.

Thanks all.

Trish

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 Aug 2011 21:02

what about this one

Name: Jeffrey Roberts
Birth Date: abt 1951
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1951
Age at Death: 0
Registration district: Bridgwater
Inferred County: Somerset
Volume: 7c
Page: 86

Roy

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 4 Aug 2011 21:04

Trish,

Spelling slightly different:

Jeffrey Roberts Birth Date: abt 1951
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1951
Age at Death: 0
Registration district: Bridgwater Somerset
Volume: 7c
Page: 86

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 Aug 2011 21:11

I note that his birth was registered in the dec quarter of 1950 so the age of 0 is correct, different spelling for his christian name could be a mistake made by the registrar and parents to distressed to notice

Roy

Trish

Trish Report 5 Aug 2011 08:31

thank you so much guys for your help, it is much appreciated. I shall be able to add this to my tree now.