Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Printing the list from the family tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MBSG

MBSG Report 7 Aug 2012 20:50

Does anyone know why when I try to print the Excel type list of names from my family tree, via 'File' and 'Print preview', I only get Page 1 of 1 instead of Page 1 of ...? If I do it from their print icon then the ordinary box type family tree comes up, not the list of names.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 7 Aug 2012 20:59

Their are instructions on how to use the functions for the new tree in the help section under FAQ

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=272

Printing your Family Tree· Go to your tree and select the 'Full Family’ view at the top of the page.

· Click on the 'Print' icon in the top right hand corner of the tree to see the print menu. You'll see full instructions on how to print out your tree here.

· You can either print the entire tree, or a view of your Ancestors or Descendants.

· You can print out any trees that you have access to. View the other tree in the 'Full Family’ view and then you'll see the option to print it.

We know that some members are having problems printing their trees at the moment, and we're really sorry about this. We're still making a number of improvements to the tree, including the printing function.

If you’re having problems, as a temporary solution, try exporting your tree from the site as a Gedcom file. Then you can print it offline using a family tree software package such as Family Tree Maker or Personal Ancestral File.

Roy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Aug 2012 21:02

It seems to want to print what it can see on the screen. Try printing that off then scroll down for a second + + page.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Aug 2012 21:04

Roy - I read Maggie's query as the list of names rather then the tree itself.

Either way, we are making progress ;-)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 7 Aug 2012 21:07

Lets hope so, GR have added as my post points out that they are having problems with the print facility

Roy

MBSG

MBSG Report 7 Aug 2012 22:39

Thank you for the replies. I have tried scrolling down etc but only get blank pages with headings.
Maggie

Estelle

Estelle Advisor Report 8 Aug 2012 08:56

Hi Maggie, quite a few members have asked if they can print out the list of names from their tree. There isn't a printable version of it available at the moment - but it is on the list of things to do. There is a way to print it though. You do need to be using the Chrome browser. Then, if you look at your list and press CTRL and P on your keyboard you should see a preview of what will be printed. I am afraid it will only print exactly what is on the screen, so to print the rest of the list you'd need to scroll down and and repeat the process.
As I said, I have been speaking to the tree team and they are going to look at making the list printable.
Printing is a complicated process. We know that at the moment it is not always possible to print out your tree, especially if you have a large tree. This is something we will be working on, but we do want to make sure we get it right.

Estelle

MBSG

MBSG Report 8 Aug 2012 10:12

Hi Estelle, thank you for that. At the moment I'm trying to find out what you mean by 'the Chrome browser'. I've tried to do it as you say but it still only prints page 1 so I presume we don't have this Chrome browser you mentioned although the computer is new this year and we have Windows 7.
Maggie

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 8 Aug 2012 12:12

Estelle, No member should have to change their browser to use GR even older browsers have a compatibility view which is their for that very reason

provided members keep receiving updates to their existing browser their should be no problem at all

Roy

Thelma

Thelma Report 8 Aug 2012 12:31

Click this link for Chrome.
https://www.google.com/chrome/?installdataindex=nosearch&hl=en-GB&brand=CHMB&utm_campaign=en-GB&utm_source=en-GB-ha-emea-ie-sk&utm_medium=ha

Estelle

Estelle Advisor Report 8 Aug 2012 12:32

Hi Roy,

just to clarify, I only suggested the Chrome browser for printing the list view. We test the site and the tree in all browsers and are happy that everything works well. Personally I use IE9.

Estelle