Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Copying Articles from British Newspapers on Genes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 15 Aug 2012 14:16

Could someone please tell me if it is possible to save an article from British Newspapers here on Genes. I have found a couple of articles I would like to save but can only save the web page. Can't find a way to copy and paste the individual articles or to save the image to my computer, which I can easily do when on the Lancashire Library site. (Unfortunately the articles I am interested in don 't appear to be on the Lancashire site.)

Thanks for any help.

Marie.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Aug 2012 15:41

If you can save the page, you must be able to view it.

If you can view it, you should be able to save it to Word...........then C&P the specific article

Or have you tried that, and found it isn't an option?

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 15 Aug 2012 15:54

I wonder if this is the same thing that I have tried (unsuccessfully) to do since the changes ?

Before the changes it was possible to highlight-copy-paste and save a specific item from these boards(eg such as instructions from another member on "how to" etc ) since the changes I have not been able to do it :-(

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 15 Aug 2012 16:32

Reggie

Thanks for your reply. It seems that they only let you save it as a Web Page. Usually when I do this (on other sites) if I click on the file on my computer I will get the page back. This is not happening here - I get a blank page.

But I don 't really want to save it as a Web page. What I would like to do is save the page as an Image which it won't let me do. When on the Lancashire Library site I can save the page as an image, then cut/crop the page and edit the individual article. I can copy and paste an image to Word but seems cannot paste into a Genes post. Any other ideas?

Marie.

:-S

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 15 Aug 2012 20:13

Moonbeam

If you have the 'right' operating system you could try the free snipping tool. I don't have access to the newspapers so I don't know if it works on here.

Google 'Snipping Tool' for more info.

Chris

Peter

Peter Report 16 Aug 2012 00:40

Moonbeam

Presume you are using windows? top right of your keyboard just after the function keys is a key labeled "Print Screen SysRq".

Press this key once then open Microsoft Paint. Select paste and what ever was on your screen when you pressed the key, will appear in paint. You can use the tools in paint to crop and save the image.

Again please note that you only get what ever was on your screen no additional info or web page.

Peter

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 16 Aug 2012 03:33

Thanks Chris and Peter for your suggestions.

I do have the Snipping Tool and have just captured a section of an article in a newspaper. Now I just have to learn how to work with it. ;-)

I also tried the Print Screen and was able to transfer it to my graphics programme - Irfanview. So can now cut/crop etc.

Marie.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Aug 2012 06:32

Just press "PrtScreen" button. This will copy a screen grab onto the clip board. Now open a graphics apps eg IrfanView and select Edit Paste (or Cttrl-V) and the grab with the document will appear. Edit / trim asa required and save.

PrtScrn will also grab a frame of movies of any sort - YouTube, DVD, iPlayer.

PrtScreen function is part of Windows, free.

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 17 Aug 2012 15:38

Please see this thread for further discussion on the subject of saving images from British Newspaper Archives.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1308347