Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PROBLEMS WITH SITE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 14 Sep 2012 17:03

Has anyone else had problems viewing their Tree. I thought the problem had gone away but come back from hol and its there again. I go to view my full tree only to find all I can see is the top left hand corner in a shaded box which means I cant add, delete etc. Seems like I'm paying money for nothing. Waiting for response from GR team, yet again. Also unable to print tree, but then again I cant see it!!!!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Sep 2012 17:05

Mine is fine at the moment

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 Sep 2012 18:59

Try clicking the refresh button on your browser

Roy

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 14 Sep 2012 19:38

I have to refresh (F5) the page every time I open my tree, this gives me full screen.

Theres an advantage in the new tree which is when I click on a relation I can go and refill my glass of wine. By the time I get back the system has usually updated to that person, though not always in which case I go for a pee or make a bit of toast.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 Sep 2012 20:12

Malcolm, To be honest the speed that it takes for pages to open or download are not normaly the fault of GR or any other site,

The main reason for this is due to either lack of PC maintenance, Not accepting automatic updates from such as Microsoft or adobe and other programs that your PC requires to operate correctly, Having to many programs running in the background, your download/upload speed from your ISP and if you have a router it could require resetting

My PC opens pages and moves around my tree within 2/3 seconds of clicking on any link within GR and my download/upload speed is only a third of what i had when i lived in Yorkshire

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

or

http://www.speedtest.net/

Complaining about this problem on the boards or to GR will not help,
Only you can resolve or keep your PC up to date

also see my thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1309077

Roy

Kense

Kense Report 14 Sep 2012 21:55

That's not strictly true Porkie. I believe if you have a moderate number of people in your tree (say 3000 or less) then most actions are swift as you say.

However I know that three of the most strident critics of the new tree have trees of over 20,000 names, and when I look at the largest tree I have access to (16,000) it can take several minutes to display the full tree and the best time is about half a minute.

GR do need to have a look at optimising the time for very large trees.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 Sep 2012 22:22

Ken, You may have a point, I just opened a tree with 5,000 in and it took 5 seconds to load, but in no way would i see that as unacceptable although i have not tried with a 20,000 plus tree

Roy

Added; based on my experience that should mean that a 20,000 tree should take abt 20 seconds

Remember that when you open your tree you are downloading all that info so the larger the tree and the more info in that tree eg, data and photo's the longer it will take, other factors are the speed of your modem and processor and dare i say....... how busy the computer that you are downloading from is, Not forgetting all the other factors i mentioned in my post above 14 Sep 2012 20:12

freyaviolet

freyaviolet Report 15 Sep 2012 00:51

as far as i am aware my computer software is up to date, defragged and cleaned up regularly, and so on n so forth.. (my dad is a computer programmer), but my family tree is incredibly slow, the rest of the site works fine, but it can take sooooo long to load a relatives details, and heaven forbid i add or change any details, i'd be here forever!! it really is frustrating.. but on the plus side i can add/change the basic details within seconds on my android phone instead.. (all run through the same wifi) but would be so nice if i didnt have to :-)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 15 Sep 2012 01:15

freyaviolet, May be your Dad could give some input into why your android phone appears to be fast but your PC is slow when using your tree,

If GR was to blame then surly you would have the same problem with your android phone as with your PC?

Roy

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 15 Sep 2012 05:36

I don't see why the performance of my other applications is not affected since August 1st. Despite the intermittent connection of my internet (no alternative better supplier here) every other site I use performs as it has for months.

For a comparison i'm off to the local library where I used to work their faster connection (fibre) and see how the new tree performs using those.

Didn't there used to be a window showing "number of new relations added today"? Where is that now?

Kense

Kense Report 15 Sep 2012 08:13

Roy, I posted some timings on the Suggestions:TREE thread on 10 Sep 2012 20:39.

It seems that once the tree is loaded it can be quite quick so I had to shut the GR windows down between each test.

For the large tree the time to load the full tree varied between 25 seconds and four minutes. Some random events (in the GR servers?) must interfere with the download.

I did send details to support but their response was the standard "I am sorry you are having problems with the new tree".

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 15 Sep 2012 09:20

Connected now from my local library. Almost no delays in operation as I have at home on both my wife's brand new laptop and my older PC so although the new tree seems a bit slower, from here it is perfectly acceptable. I'll be working from here for the foreseeable future.

freyaviolet

freyaviolet Report 22 Sep 2012 15:20

having had a reply from genes reunited it would appear that several users with internet explorer 8 on xp have been having the same problems as me. however, i am pleased to report that somehow someone has done something brilliant and the tree appears to be working brilliantly today.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 22 Sep 2012 15:28

I don't know if that's a co-incidence because I just loaded Firefox and the tree is lightning fast. I've Inboxed GR. There is also a spelling checker on the boards...that's new.

I was also using IE8 and XP before. Hope they have done something right and we can get back to work!

And my emoticons have re-appeared....somebody has fixed it all. <3

Susan

Susan Report 23 Sep 2012 09:47

I am finding the save button at the bottom of my page when veiwing my tree appears only when I have turned off my compatibility view.

So Compatibilty off for the tree and on without being in your tree so emoticons there ...it looks like my computer is remembering to do it for me so fingers crossde that part is fixed.

It is a bit faster as well to load ....I am getting excited now at last somethings are looking up

Edit
Can you tell me the site you used to download Firefox please :-D

freyaviolet

freyaviolet Report 23 Sep 2012 14:17

i am still using the same systems and it is working fine now, but if you want firefox just google it x

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 23 Sep 2012 16:10

It WAS co-incidence. GR updated something Saturday morning (but didn't deign to admit/tell us about it)

I'm now running in 4th gear under IE8/XP but without emoticons and spellchecker. With Firefox I get 5th gear, Emoticons and spellchecker but both systems are well acceptable. (I can spel reel good lyke aw scots fowk) ;-)

Joseph

Joseph Report 23 Sep 2012 19:58

Just Google "Firefox"