Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rubery Hill asylum birmingham 1926

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 16 Oct 2012 18:28

Hi all
i have just received the death certificate of my grandfathers first wife Olive and it looks like she died in the above asylum in 1926 aged 23 years. They only married in 1923 so were only together 3 years before she died. I was wondering if i can find any info on this place and maybe get access to her records, it doesnt state where in birmingham she was buried so maybe the hospital had their own cemetery at the hospital i dont know but would love to find out. I have tried googling but it didnt come up with a great deal. Any information greatly received.
Thanks in advance
Dawn

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Oct 2012 18:40

Hi Dawn.
By co-incidence, I live just a stone's throw from where this hospital used to be!
First thing I would do is get the death cert - or do you have it already?
I would also google your query.
Jan

Dawn

Dawn Report 16 Oct 2012 19:18

Hi
Yeah I already have the death cert I cant read the cause of death on it but it does say re admitted. So it looks like she was probably on her second placing there. I will check the web link out. Is the building still standing by the way as I would love a picture of it?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Oct 2012 19:30

Most of the site was demolished in the 90's - it was very large, there was more than one hospital on the site if memory serves me right. The chapel is still there - just google search and you will see it. There are lots of photo's online.
You might consider using the Birmingham History Forum for your query.

www.birminghamhistory.co.uk/

Jan

Penny

Penny Report 16 Oct 2012 21:16

Most places have a 100 year closure on specific records, you may get general info, prob not specific

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=143-hcrh&cid=-1#-1

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 16 Oct 2012 22:43

There is lots about it on Google, including one statement, Jan, that the chapel is to be turned into apartments!!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Oct 2012 22:49

The mind boggles doesn't it.
Jan

Dawn

Dawn Report 17 Oct 2012 09:18

thanks evryone will go and take a look x