Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unknown Navigational Academy- 1840's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 16 Nov 2012 21:29

Has anyone heard of the Withenbery's Navigational Academy- 1843?? My Great x2 great uncle James Prowse was awarded it in 1843 for "perseverance and progress in that science". He sailed to Africa in the William Canynage whilst indentured to Edmund Gwyer from 1841 to 46. He became Master of barque Watkins in Bristol when died in 1858 age 31. Luckily I have original medal and Indenture.
I can find no information on this "Academy" , any suggestions for a line of research?
David

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Nov 2012 21:59

The last reply was rubbish so deleted - apologies to anyone who had the misfortune to read it!

If you do a search for 'Withenbery' on Ancestry it appears to be a very rare surname, centred in Clifton Gloucs, which of course fits in with the Bristol connection.
Just wondering if one of the family was involved with this??

Maybe you need to find people who are into this sort of thing - found this site, might be worth checking out:

http://www.swmaritime.org.uk/forums/index.php

Jan

David

David Report 16 Nov 2012 22:31

Thanks for info. Will give it a try. David