Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Seamens tickets- list available of numbers?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JLP

JLP Report 2 Jan 2013 21:05

I have a ticket no for Andrew Mckenzie from BT 114 but can't find an online source where it is possible to type in the ticket no and get more details. Has anyone done this or has access to relevant lists please? If so, I would be really pleased if anyone could find 82.109.

Andrew died between 1853 and 1854. I have been able to find an entry for a Mckenzie in deaths at sea in 1854 with a note saying to 'see volumne of informal costs'. I have not been able to find a ref to tell me how to chase this up. Does anyone have any ideas?
Jan

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 Jan 2013 21:16

Hi Jan, no idea what BT114 is.

When and where was he born? I could check the lists on FindMyPast. They aren't searchable by ticket number but they show year and place of birth.

EDIT: Have found what BT114 is
Register of Masters and Seamen 1835-1857 (Series BT112-116 & BT120 (index BT119))

I think I've seen the record you looked at - it's an un-named McKenzie in 1854 and it says "see volume of informal certs"

JLP

JLP Report 3 Jan 2013 12:24

Ah, well done, I thought it said 'costs' so I wonder what the volumne of informal certs was?

I also need someone to look and see if they can find him on BT 112 under his seamans number. With any luck there might be some evidence of what ships he worked in , THEN it will be possible to look up the ships and masters and find out where they were, THEN I might be able to find out where it was when Andrew died overseas at the age of 36.
He was born in Haddington, (East Lothian) in 1818

JLP

JLP Report 3 Jan 2013 12:25

I am happy to pay someone a reasonable amount to uncover this if it involved a visit to Kew or Greenwich.

JLP

JLP Report 19 Dec 2013 16:37

I am delighted to report that one of my cousins also researching this line found the certificate number through Ancestry and then I was able to look it up and ascertain that our man died in Whitechapel in 1853 at 33 years old. So, not at sea.

Thanks for your help folks
Jan

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Dec 2013 20:51

Hi Jan, I've just been looking at his Masters Certificate dated 19 November 1850 and from July 1847 up to the date of the ticket he was working on ships out of London on coasting trade.

It's quite possible he did die on board a ship and his body was taken back to the port they worked from for burial.