Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What Programs Do You Use To Keep Your Family Tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JerryH

JerryH Report 9 Jan 2013 17:53

I have PAF and an old version of FTM but I do not use them unless I want to work with an exported GEDCOM

My Primary tree is on Excel.
As well as being a spreadsheet, it can be used as a large "Whiteboard" which enables me to see the full picture for a family that can be shown as would a tree that is drawn on paper. One can use boarders to draw lines and Cell Comments to add additional details. And I can include all those bits and pieces that "don't quite fit yet but look as if they might at some stage"
For pre Census, I have found it vital to examine the whole picture rather than just trying to follow the direct line.

It is also an easy way to share with relatives.

Jeremy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jan 2013 16:00

Cor! Lucky you! :-D

Typically, I upgraded my version 3 to version 4, a month or so before version 5 was released. Grrr.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 9 Jan 2013 15:53

I'm exactly the same as Det.

My only problem is my Family Historian is an early version which doesn't run on a 64 bit computer so when our old 32 bit one crashed and we bought a 64 bit, the computer company put my FH on a "virtual computer" in the main one. It is not so easy to back up now though I have worked out a way of doing it.

However, at Christmas OH gave me an IOU for the latest version so we are going out tomorrow to get it. Lucky me!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jan 2013 14:44

My off-line programme is Family Historian with Ancestry as the main research site.

The FHistorian tree is saved on the PC, with a back up copy to an external hard drive >and< a flash drive. As Cynthia often says - belt and braces! :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Jan 2013 13:56

Rootgatherer

Here is the link to some old instructions for splitting your tree :
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/701045

I have split my tree using these instructions - but I suggest you do a practice run on a temporary tree first.

What annoys me with the 2011 FTM is that I can no longer ( prev 2006) copy a descendant chart or an outline report to word so that I can edit it before sending it on to another person.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 9 Jan 2013 10:18

Happy New Year to you too Brian.

Like MarieCeleste, I use FTM 2010 and use Ancestry for research.

The only problem I have found recently with FTM was when my husband's cousin wanted a copy of his mother's side. I couldn't work out how to split the tree so she didn't have to take his father's side and all my family too. I think though that the problem is actually my lack of computer skills rather than the programme.

I only keep a small part of my tree on GR.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 8 Jan 2013 23:41

I also use free PAF from Family Search.
I add all my new, updated and amended info to this and upload it as a new tree to GR every few months. It overwrites the previous one...simples!

BrianW

BrianW Report 8 Jan 2013 23:28

Like Joy, I use the free Personal Ancestry File (PAF) from Familysearch.
Perfectly adequate for my requirements.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 8 Jan 2013 21:28

We started using Ultimate Family Tree some years ago (it was free with a family history magazine). Also we have used the (free) Mormons' Personal Ancestral File.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 8 Jan 2013 20:45

I'd suggest reading through the various threads on here Brian to see what people have already said. Obviously, people have different preferences and opinions.

Personally, I prefer Ancestry to Genes for my tree, backed up on FTM 2010.

Brian

Brian Report 8 Jan 2013 20:41

Hi Folks.
Happy New Year to you all.

I use Family Tree Maker for recording my research, and Ancestry for searching, as well as others. I have FMT up to version 2012, but cannot get on with their later versions, after year 2006/7. I like a "form" type of input, like Legacy.
I am considering changing to Genes Reunited. What do users think is the best.

Brian