Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

unwanted certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 24 Jan 2013 19:10

Is there a site I can go on to pass on certificates I have purchased and found to be the wrong family.

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 24 Jan 2013 19:31

Hi
http://www.certificate-exchange.co.uk/index.php

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 24 Jan 2013 21:56

I also add the information I have found on all certs I have purchased as a postem to the reference for the cert, on the FreeBMD site.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 25 Jan 2013 06:39

Whilst it sounds like a good idea, I just wonder in practice how many certs are ever claimed.

Out of interest, has anyone any experience in either finding or being asked for a cert in this way?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 25 Jan 2013 19:29

IGP - like you I too think it highly unlikely that very few certificates are exchanged in this way.

I too used postems on FreeBMD

Also I like to keep all my certificates - even the wronguns. You never know that wrongun may one day prove to be a distant cousin.

And even when sending people copies of certificate I never offer the original but always send a colour copy. Shame that the people who offer to me never seem to come up with the goods!!!!! :-D

Susan

Susan Report 26 Jan 2013 14:53

Thanks all for your help, I too wondered how it would work. Anyway there's no harm in trying.

Ian

Ian Report 26 Jan 2013 22:08

Heres another...

http://www.bmdshare.com/

site is currently undergoing maintenance.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 27 Jan 2013 10:52

Another problem with trying to pass on unwanted certificates is that in many cases these sites are only in A -Z format so all A's bundled togther etc., so after a while the site is a mess and trying to see if a certificate on there might be of use will be really difficult.

Take a peek at those listed above and you will see what I mean.

A postem on FreeBMD is probably the best bet and just keep the certificate. That way anyone looking on FreeBMD will see there is a postem, have a quick look and then they can decide if the certificate they are looking for is the right one from the info provided by others. Over the years I have noticed more and more postems which is brilliant.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jan 2013 11:52

If you add a postem' to freebmd, it might be worth getting an anonimous dedicated email address and listing that as well

In answer to IGP - no, never been contacted. :-0