Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tree 'Splitting'

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 26 Jan 2013 10:46

My Tree has become quite large and I am considering 'splitting' in to 2 - ie. my Mother's side / my Father's side.

I am using FTM 2012; but only offline as I wanted to tweak and correct before publishing on Ancestry.

If I am able to split and create 2 Trees on FTM what would the effect be when uploading the Gedcom to GR?

Should I even consider this or 'leave well alone'?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 26 Jan 2013 10:57

Few points to consider.

When you upload a gedcom to GR your existing data is over written.

Currently, you can only have one GR tree per membership. You can however set up a second free account if you wish to to hold two trees on the site.

When you say 'large' how many names are you talking about? I have well over ten thousand names and many of my contacts even more than that. I did try to maintain two trees but that was several years ago. It only lasted a few months and I ended going back to just the one as I found it to be less hassle.

Ian

Ian Report 26 Jan 2013 22:14

Many thanks - I think I will leave it on the one tree.