Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Beware of Professional Researcher

Page 1 + 1 of 2

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Derek

Derek Report 25 Feb 2013 21:59

I think its very sad that the whole ethic of GR is threatened by a person, or people looking to make money out of so called "research" that is often simply copying and pasting an entry from one website or another..often FREE websites.

In my naivety I thought we were a bunch of enthusiasts pursuing a hobby that we were completely hooked on, and having achieved some level of "expertise" now took great pleasure in solving thorny problems for other people.

Are we now going to be looking at each other and wondering if this person or that is a professional researcher????????..and what he or she is doing with the information that we give them??

Amateur is Amateur....it means for free and because we love what we're doing !!

Derek.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 25 Feb 2013 22:44

I have no objection whatsoever to anyone who makes their living doing what I choose to do as purely a hobby. Indeed I say good luck to them.

Where I do draw the line however is where as a professional researcher they try to take advantage of other people by asking and expecting that they will provide information and things such as certificates free of charge which they as a professional researcher then charge a third party for.

I note that on his website Jeremy indicates that the charges for copies of Birth, Marriage and Death certificates start at approximately £10. Does that include those that he manages to obtain free of charge from the unsuspecting?

JerryH

JerryH Report 25 Feb 2013 23:28

I am feeling rather annoyed that a proffessional researcher has hijacked MY board user name.

This could have the affect of making people wary about replying to my posts which might deprive me of much needed information to grow my tree.

I have no wish to have my name associated with this proffesional researcher.

My own research is based on my family and that of my Sister in Law and is completely Amateaur allbeit that I have been researching since 1984.

I am now seriously considering changing me board name in order to disassociate myself from this individual.
:-(
Jeremy

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 25 Feb 2013 23:52

go for itt Jeremy - you only need to put a character at the end eg Jeremy* to make it unique

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Feb 2013 01:01

Jeremy who posted at 25 Feb 2013 23:28 ..........................

The "other" Jeremy has not hijacked your name ................... he is legitimately called Jeremy, but he does have a different surname from yours.

This was one of the problems of GR, until things were changed in 2011 ....................... you could use your own forename as your Board Name .................... and there was no bar to the number of people using the same name.

As of changes in 2011, that is no longer possible ................ if you try to use a Board Name that is already in use, you will be told to find a different version.

He is therefore not impersonating you ............ and most knowledgeable people on here will check whether you are him, or vice versa, by either clicking on your name Jeremy, to see what your surname is. Or they will hover their mouse over the name Jeremy and see what your membership number is.

I would seriously suggest that you do change your Board name .................. add an * as Ann suggested, add a county name, add a number. Then there will be no doubt as to who you are.

I added InCanada to my name many years ago, because there were several other members using Sylvia as their Board name, but I was the only one posting as from Canada! ....................... it helps to keep things clear.

sylvia

JerryH

JerryH Report 26 Feb 2013 01:28

There !!

It is done :-)

Jeremy

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Feb 2013 03:49

Good!!

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 26 Feb 2013 04:17

One of the researchers with the same name as My OH did exactly the same thing to his namesakes. .....Collected all the information and even tried to charge those who had given to him, for information on other links....In fact there were two of them doing exactly the same thing...... bad enough charging some but even worse charging those who had given information in the first place.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Feb 2013 04:25

sheeez Susan!

that's unbelievable!!

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 26 Feb 2013 04:30

yes....afraid so....his own Kin.....he collected information from around the world and sold and tried to sell it on to the rest of us....I spent years and pots of money on My OHs tree and it was pure as far as correct information was concerned. Unfortunately One of his kin saw fit to pass on information that hadn't been checked out and this is now floating on the Internet in its corrupt form and being sold on to unsuspecting researchers......I don't speak to them any more as it caused much friction.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Feb 2013 04:45

well, I did have a second cousin who did a lot of work on my dad's family back in the 80s and 90s, and not on the internet.

He did a super job ............... then his brother B stole the work from him during a family argument.

B set up a One Name Study Group, and didn't tell anyone that it was not his own work. He claimed all the credit ............... in my early days on here I was often told he was a brilliant researcher into the family name

I came across the truth when I found what B had done with my own family ..................... lost my dad, made my brother into my mother's husband and my father, even though he was shown as only 10½ years old

Unfortunately, that is the version that he put on a CD that he circulated around the world in about 2001.

I have the proof of which brother did the work .................. because that brother did work with my brother, and so knew who was the father and who was the son, and I have the proof of it.

But there isn't much I can do about it .................. B removed himself from ONSG when I challenged him.

s