Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO BMD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

poppycat

poppycat Report 9 Mar 2013 01:38

Has anyone lately had a problem in processing their Orders!

I have used GRO for past 6yrs no problem in using my Visa Debit Card.

On the Home Page lists all Cards. 5 Cards in all.
3 types of Visa incl. Visa Debit.

When it came to pay only 3 Cards incl. 1 Visa Card.

When i thought all well & good up pops a Box regarding the security with the 'Visa Debit' i use for this purpose & it seems i can only use this Card now if i supply them with a 'Customer No'. which means i have to use 'Online Banking' which i am oppose to totally.

It seems i cannot even use PayPal with GRO.........so i'm certainly not going to use my other Credit Card......it looks like i'm finished now............so i hope GR & FMP don't put me in the lurch also, as that would put an end to what i consider my life's interest! GENEALOGY.

My ongoing subscription with GR & FMP were renewed recently, so they are not fussed with Visa Debit just GRO :-(

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Mar 2013 07:00

I only use a credit card for online purchases. Saw on the tv this week where someone was doing a purchase from Amazon online and they got directed to another page on Amazon for payment which they did. Seems it was a scam and a very sophisticated overlay of the Amazon website . I would ring the GRO to check if this is a new thing for them as not everyone does online banking. Sounds a bit suspicious to me.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 9 Mar 2013 07:24

I think what you are seeing is the 'Verified by Visa' procedure which is becoming more common in on-line payment systems as an additional security layer. It applies to all Visa card types, not just debit cards and is intended to stop unauthorised purchases and make on-line shopping more secure.

It is nothing to do with on-line banking nor is it a scam.

When you proceed to payment, a Verified by Visa window will appear automatically. If prompted, you are required to enter your password, submit, and that's it. If you have not yet activated your Visa card for VbV, just enter the authentication information when prompted by your card issuer and create a password.

http://www.visa.co.uk/en/security/online_security/verified_by_visa.aspx for more information on how it all works.

P.S. I have just ordered a cert using my Visa Debit Card and on this occasion the payment went through straight away. I believe that provided everything else about your card is in order and the amount is relatively small, then you are not always required to enter your password.

poppycat

poppycat Report 9 Mar 2013 08:30

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Thanks for replying and i'll keep that one in mind as i'm very aware of such happenings
I have sent GRO an email regarding my concerns.

poppycat

poppycat Report 9 Mar 2013 08:35

InspectorGreenPen

Thats interesting you ordering a Cert with Visa Debit Card ....my Card is all in order & i was asked for a customer No. not password & if using online Banking thats when the customer no is given, so i suppose it could be referred to as 'Password'.
I'll definately will try again...thanks for the link!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 9 Mar 2013 09:02

I use on-line banking but at no time have I ever been asked for my OLB Customer No or anything even remotely connected to my OLB account when using my debit card for on-line payments

The GRO use WorldPay to process payments on their behalf and WP's computers will in turn gain authorisation from your bank or card issuer for the payment via Visa. It is just possible that it is your own Bank's security system that is kicking in, especially if your card is not yet registered for VbV,

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 9 Mar 2013 15:23

I don't use online banking but I have a Visa debit card issued by LloydsTSB. Some time ago they started using this extra layer of security and the first time it happened I had to register my card with the bank. I now have a password which I enter when asked, and the payment is approved.

Some online sites seem to use it and others don't - personally I prefer the ones that do. It's no bother and is supposed to help prevent fraud.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 Mar 2013 07:01

From what I can glean more and more sites moving over as they upgrade to newer and more secure payment systems and it looks like it will eventually become the norm. Mastercard have a similar system called MasterCard SecureCode for the cards issued under their name.

Once registered, you can add additional cards and they link to the same security password.