Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone found a Royal link, or someone famous ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 27 Mar 2013 19:25

Anyone found a Royal link, or someone very interesting from the past... in their family research ? Also, how far back have you got ?

Andrew

Andrew Report 27 Mar 2013 21:20

Someone very interesting.
The wife's 6x great grandfather, an Essex Doctor, John Cook MD (1704-1777) As well as publishing 6 books he had over 200 articles published in Magazines of the time (Gentleman's Magazine etc) but best of all the Essex Record office have a few of his original papers. Amongst them is an unpublished account of his early life, being sent to Scotland at the age of 8 to go to school and then St Andrews. He eventually returned south and studied medicine at St Thomas's Hospital before being a doctor in Essex. Also tracked down one of his family bibles from 1640 to Cambridge University Library. A fascinating character. It makes genealogy much more interesting.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 27 Mar 2013 22:04

I only research my direct line ancestry and their (other) direct descendants..
My g grandfather had a 1st cousin who was a Pianist/ Composer and a pupil of Franz Liszt
With his Austrian born Jewish wife, he managed to get them safely out of Berlin at the start of WW2.
Fascinating story!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Mar 2013 23:37

Although not related, the most interesting person in my tree is James Harvey Gaul 17 May 1911 – 26 Jan 1945.

He was an American who was a member of the OSS mainly because of his linguistic skills. As part of an operation, he was dropped with his group behind enemy lines in the Balkans on 17 Sep 1944, captured by the Germans on or about 25 December and executed as a spy at Mauthausen, Austria on 26 Jan 1945. His name is on the OSS Memorial at the CIA headquarters in Virginia.

I’ve a vague recollection of listen to a radio play which I think was based on the circumstance of his group’s capture, but it’s rather difficult to find anything on line

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Mar 2013 00:11

I enjoyed reading ALL your interesting replies, thanks, brill!

Duncan

Duncan Report 28 Mar 2013 03:25

I have found a couple of very interesting characters.

One is William Willett, who was instrumental in the introduction of British Summer Time. It got better when I googled him, and read that he is the ggggrandfather of Chris Martin from Coldplay. So I think Chris and I are 4th cousins. So where are my free concert tickets?

The other is Willie Soutar, who suffered a muscle wasting disease and died very young. He lived in an adapted house in Perth - the Scottish Perth - and wrote "Diary of a Dying Man", apparently a classic in Scotland, although I don't believe anybody in England has ever heard of it, or of him.

It goes to show you should always google every name you come up with, you never know what you will find.

How about you Graham?

Duncan

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 28 Mar 2013 12:25

Yep, Google's your best friend :-D

Someone famous but by association only!!
In my tree I have a lady by the name of Betsy Tagg. Aunty Betsy was assistant to the eminent surgeon Sir Frederick Treves.
Treves (1853-1923) was a prominent surgeon at the London Hospital, particularly well known for his success in abdominal surgery. He was surgeon to King Edward VII and performed an appendicectomy in 1902. The following year Treves was made a baronet.
Another patient of Treves, John Merrick, known as the Elephant Man, is probably better known these days than Treves himself.

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Mar 2013 13:01

Loads of interesting family research going on... great!

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 31 Mar 2013 10:17

There is a link in my husband's tree to Georgiana Spencer 1857-1806, who was an ancestor of Lady Diana.

GHeather

GHeather Report 31 Mar 2013 14:39

I may have the Spencer surname in my family tree, going way back in Kent.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Mar 2013 15:10

My grt x 4 grandfather was a Joseph Wood. Born c 1803 . He was in the Royal Navy and his last vessel was HMS Enterprise that was sent to look for Sir John Franklin who was lost looking for the North West Passage. Joseph was the sail maker on the ship and is mentioned in the book Arctic Hell Ship which tells the story of the voyage.

Joseph died in 1855 in Malden Essex from lung problems caused by the extreme cold on the voyage

Flip

Flip Report 31 Mar 2013 15:27

I'm adopted, and when I started looking for birth family hoped I'd be the daughter of someone famous (and rich)! No such luck, when found they were all ag. labs & later stone masons! :-D

Still, I don't care

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 31 Mar 2013 15:51

flip... i so agree.... all my relatives are interesting but only to me........ :-D

wisechild

wisechild Report 31 Mar 2013 16:24

I have a tenuous link to Grace Darling of the Farne Islands lighthouse rescue fame.
In fact it´s so far back, my brother says it may as well not exist. ;-)

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 3 Apr 2013 23:09

I agree with KIm and Flip,
There are quite a few "well kent " folk in my family tree.
Of course, I am directly descended from none of them!
However, in so many generations, it would seem that I am descended from the black sheep of the family.

A few months back, my nephew jokingly asked me if I had found his lost inheritance.
Just two weeks beforehand, I had found exactly that.
Could not believe how rich my Irish ggg grandfather was.
This was the same man who had raised his own grandchildren after the death of his daughter ?
He cut my g grandfather out of his will completely, leaving everything to his new, very young wife.

Why was it always my line?