Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who have Platinum Membership

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 5 Apr 2013 18:47

All this talk about the cost of membership just wondering if anybody actually has a Platinum membership and the add on.

Who actually uses the records for their research

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Apr 2013 18:53

I do - it was a 'reward' for giving an opinion last year. It includes the British Newspaper Archive.

Do I use it? Sometimes for the Newspapers, but not really for anything else although I have tried. Although I do have a tree on here, the most up-to-date version is on another site and my PC.

Like many, my research on-line was started before GR held records.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Apr 2013 19:10

NanaSue ......................

do you not use the GR records for research????????

I do not, for the very simple reason that GR did not have records when I first joined, and it was not until 2007 that a change in ownership meant that records began to be added, and more expensive memberships became available.

Byt that time, I had subscriptions to other sites, and had the information that was becoming available on GR.

The membership levels, in case you are unaware of them, are ..............

Free

Standard

Gold .............. now discontinued, except for current Gold members

Platinum

plus ..........

........ purchase of credits at all membership levels to access records not included in the cost.

Free and Standard members can access the records, search them, and see if there are any connections. Then they can purchase credits if they wish to see the details.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 5 Apr 2013 19:25

Have membership to Findmypast which also has Newspaper records - never found much of any use on there and whar did come up was pretty useless or gobbledygook.

So at the weekend I bit the bullet and went for 2 days access (6.95) on the Archive Site ( which is run in conjunction with Brightsolid/Findmypast) a far better search engine and easier to find what I had hoped I would find and more. Best £6.95 spent for a long time and sadly I did not use all my credits, but what I found was invaluable.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 6 Apr 2013 09:51

Yes I am a gold member and use some of the records. I mentioned it some time ago in another thread I like the 1911 census because you can sort records like a spread sheet. Found many missing families just by sorting using a childs name with a 2 year + or -.

I also like the BDM which are now individually listed not like the old records which were in qtr searches.

The miliary births overseas is another good one. Not a great list but I've been lucky in finding people. Best way of sorting is just to put in the surname only and check one by one.

The shipping records also are easier/quicker to use if you sort by the surname and see what come up. Easy look at those just having intials instead of a first name.

Before anybody shouts. I do have access to other site records

Sharon

Sharon Report 6 Apr 2013 14:52

I have a platinum membership as of last week. I have only really used this site so far for researching my family tree, and I didn't really know how else to start.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 6 Apr 2013 17:10

Sharon welcome to the boards - any advice or help we are there to assist
:-D :-D :-D

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 6 Apr 2013 17:32

Hello Sharon,

It may be an idea for you to look at the Find Ancestors board where you will find some very helpful advice from GR and HeatherPosi.

Also, there is some advice in the Help Clinic (under Tools) on the left.

Hope this helps. Cx.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 6 Apr 2013 22:32

Hello i have platinum membership because i do so many lookups as I have 5 family trees on the go at the moment. i also do lookups for a few friends down south which i dont mind doing. So i use it a lot and truly get my moneys worth out of it. i dont belong to any other sight as most of what im looking for i have found on here.

I have tried pay as you go on FMP but found i wasted a lot with fruitless searches that didnt find anything.
So for me Im sticking here unless the fee dramatically increases. I have a 6 month automatic renewal and havent had any problems that some others seem to have had.

Florence in the hebrides. :-)

Sharon

Sharon Report 16 Apr 2013 20:55

Thank you NanaSue and Cynthia!

I like your advice note Cynthia, I have been struggling to find my replies for a while now and have only just come across these ones!

Am now off to read the help notes you mentioned :-D