Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Roman Catholic Chapel Ballina ( Co. MAYO -)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

bernie49

bernie49 Report 9 Apr 2013 09:42

Many thanks Ann and Jeanette.

My parents were married in St Muredach's in 1930 , but the marriage certs. of my grandparents and indeed ,G grandparents state that their ceremonies took place in the Roman Catholic Chapel in Ballina.

I assumed it would have been the same place,but thanks for the confirmation .

Kind regards,
B.

First rule I I have learned in this game---- Never assume anything !!!

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 8 Apr 2013 22:25

Bernie 49
Yes it is the same . Always been know as St Muredach's Cathedral.
The foundation stone was laid in 1827. The architect was Peter Madden.
The first service was in 1832 but it was only a shell at that time. It was an ongoing project for some years. There is another Catholic Church in Ballina called St. Patricks . Before the Cathedral was built the old Chapel was in Ardnaree.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Apr 2013 01:46

looks like just two RC places of worship there

HOME | LOGIN | REGISTER | ABOUT US| CONTACT US| ADVERTISE| TESTIMONIALS| FAQsHome > Mayo > Ballina > Kilmoremoy Parish

Community Group Name :Kilmoremoy Parish
Type of Community Group:Roman Catholic

Contact Name:Fr Gerry O'Hora

Email:ballinaparish@eircom.net

Phone Number:096-71360

Address:Ballina

Mass / Service / Worship times:St. Muredach's Cathedral : Mon - Fri: 8 am Mon - Sat: 10 am Saturday Vigil: 7.30pm Sunday: 8am, 9.30, 11 am and 12.30 pm St. Patrick's Chur

bernie49

bernie49 Report 7 Apr 2013 13:49

Could any member researching Irish roots please tell me if this is one and the same as St. Muredach's Cathedral Ballina ? I am particularly concerned with marriage certs. dating back to 1840-1870 .
Many thanks .
B.